Combi boilers ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all ,
Bit of advice needed we have a Worcester Bosch greenstar 30 installed in 2007 and to date has never given us any problems,however I have recently noticed that when I want hot water it out scaldingly hot then cools down ,I got a local engineer out he tells me that they are supposed to do that but it has been there 14 years and has only just started doing it ,has anybody any thoughts on why it has started ,Also the same engineer tells me that W Bosch are c**p and he wouldn't have one for a gift Baxi is the way to go I pointed out they cant be that bad because it has worked ok for the last 14 years ,if the boiler dies what would the engineers recommend ,WB or Baxi ,
bit long winded request but Tia.
Regards Paul.

Sponsored Links
Would be easier if you tell us what boiler you actually have all worcester condensing boilers are called Greenstar and 30 is just a size meaning 30KW if you dont know what it is post a pic of the control panel

In those 14 years have you replaced the scale reducing gadget on the cold water inlet pipe? Was one fitted? Do you live in a hard water area?

...if the boiler dies what would the engineers recommend ,WB or Baxi ,

Not that old can of worms! Why would you think your boiler would die just because the hot water performance has dropped a bit? You've been listening to British Gas Standard Spiel to much.

Anyhow I'm not biting, no matter how much you wiggle it.

I would agree I don't like WB gas boilers, but not because there is anything wrong with them, it is because they exclude the use of third party controls. I want option to use Open therm and have the advantages it gives. But even where open therm can be used, many don't bother, and there is the balance between cost of controls and gains you get.

So if you have some one who uses a on/off thermostat with a variable mark/space ratio to stop hysteresis it will work maybe A1 on an oil boiler that does not modulate but rubbish on a gas modulating boiler.

So can't say any boiler is better worse without considering whole system. My mother's WB did have some problems, the condensate pipe frozen and build up of rubbish in the trap, one poor installation second lack of servicing, also had problems with no hot water due to kink in flex pipe at sink, not a boiler, and at shower it went hot cold hot due to not using eco mode and the reserve in the boiler.

But that again not fault of Bosch like modern cars modern boilers in the main work well, what ever make, but using a range rover for all on road work clearly not good and same with boiler it has to be selected to suit home.

I don't like working on gardener diesel engines, really good engines, but I have not worked on them enough to know where all the seals go, just a case of liking the boiler you know.

Sponsored Links
Would be easier if you tell us what boiler you actually have all worcester condensing boilers are called Greenstar and 30 is just a size meaning 30KW if you dont know what it is post a pic of the control panel
Hi ,
All it says on the front is Greenstar 30 CDi if that makes any sense to you ,Thanks.

In those 14 years have you replaced the scale reducing gadget on the cold water inlet pipe? Was one fitted? Do you live in a hard water area?
Hi there ,there is a Cal Combi scale inhibitor on one of the pipes ,can this be cleaned or must it be replaced I cannot remember if anybody touched when they came to do the yearly service ,and being in NE lincolnshire it is a hard water area ,Thanks .

Not that old can of worms! Why would you think your boiler would die just because the hot water performance has dropped a bit? You've been listening to British Gas Standard Spiel to much.

Anyhow I'm not biting, no matter how much you wiggle it.

You can't tarnish a whole brand...manufacturers often have an assortment of good and bad boilers...Baxi have had some of the industries absolute dogs but also produce half decent boilers.
Worcesters aren't well liked by repair engs. as they are full of plastic and very labour intensive but the CDi range were the higher end models with the better main heat exchanger.

Is the water initially scalding returning to the expected temperature after an initial draw-off?
Does it tend to do it if the heating has been on?
What settings are the hot water and heating on the boiler front panel?

Try pressing the ECO button till it is illuminated, this turns the Hot water pre-heat off

You can't tarnish a whole brand...manufacturers often have an assortment of good and bad boilers...Baxi have had some of the industries absolute dogs but also produce half decent boilers.
Worcesters aren't well liked by repair engs. as they are full of plastic and very labour intensive but the CDi range were the higher end models with the better main heat exchanger.

Is the water initially scalding returning to the expected temperature after an initial draw-off?
Does it tend to do it if the heating has been on?
What settings are the hot water and heating on the boiler front panel?
Thanks for the reply,yes the water returns to it's normal temperature after a initial blast of scalding waterwich is only for a few seconds ( but you know about it ) the central heating is on 4 and the hot water is on Eco ,and it happens if the heating is on or off .

The obvious faults have been ruled out if it does it regardless of the heating being on or pre-heat being on.
Needs looking at...

Thanks Gasguru ,
I will have to get somebody in to check it .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back