combi timer switch replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I have what basically is a light switch wired into my combi boiler, so i can just switch on and off without going up to loft to do it,

Now i have bought a centaurplus c17 timeswitch and was hoping to just replace the light switch with this programmer, however when i connected it up it wouldn't let me control boiler at all, it was just staying on,

the cable has only a live and neutral wire on it going to lightswitch and i thought the new timeswitch would do the exact same on, off etc,

what do i need to make the programmer work?

cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
Without more details, it's difficult to be sure but I would imagine that the "live" and "neutral" you refer to are actually a live, and a switched live. If so, there is no neutral which you will need to operate a timeswitch.

If my assumptions are correct, then:

Connect the live to [L]
Connect the switched live to [4]
Run a neutral wire from the boiler N to the programmer [N]
You will also need to link [L] and [2]

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply, what details do you need?
The boiler details would be good, and I see you've done that. Thank you. It would be helpful to know where the two wires you have assumed are live and neutral are connected at the other end. Assuming that they are both connected to the boiler, a photograph of the connections would be really useful too.

Thanks for reply, what details do you need?
The boiler details would be good, and I see you've done that. Thank you. It would be helpful to know where the two wires you have assumed are live and neutral are connected at the other end. Assuming that they are both connected to the boiler, a photograph of the connections would be really useful too.

Ok will get pic together and get back to u, really appreciate it thanks

firstly it's never a live and neutral to a light switch, it's a live and a switched live return..

you need a battery operated controller as you don't have a neutral there, or change the cable to a 3 core + earth.

firstly it's never a live and neutral to a light switch, it's a live and a switched live return..

you need a battery operated controller as you don't have a neutral there, or change the cable to a 3 core + earth.

Ok so i replace the cable to 4 core and connect to neutral, live and switched live on boiler then connect to relevant ones on controller yeah?

i take it when i look at boiler i will see a neutral connection there next to the 2 that is connected already?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back