Replacing thermostat with timeswitch + thermostat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm new to this business, so please bear with me. Any help would be appreciated.

I'll explain the situation as is. The current setup we have is a mechanical timeswitch in the kitchen and a mechanical thermostat in the back room. Unfortunately, the timeswitch broke recently and is now constantly 'on'. It's in a really awkward position where replacing it would be a pain. The thermostat still works and we're in a position where we're turning the heat off by turning the thermostat down to zero. This is obviously quite a pain though.

My question is, can I just replace the current thermostat with a programmable one? I've bought a programmable timeswitch with thermostat. The current thermostat we have has three wires connected: live, neutral and a red/yellow one. However, the programmable timeswitch/thermostat has 6 wire inputs (2 of which are live and neutral), so I'm not sure what to do.

The new thermostat + timeswitch is the TH0470, and the installation instructions are here:

http://www.thermsaver.co.uk/media/pdf/controls/thermsave-th-0470-timeswitch-programming-guide.pdf

I wonder if anyone here could make any sense of that and tell me what I'm best off doing.

Thanks for any help, I would appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
bit confused over the red/green cable is this part of the electrical wiring connected to control unit or part of the internals old control unit. What colours are the live and neutral conductors that are connected?
Or did you mean yellow and green.
The link, suggests your cables are terminated to right side of the unit:L-N and L1-N1 are load side.
There is also symbol indicating double insulated unit, which require no earth connection, so if the spare cable is yellow and green, don't snipe or cut this back as may be needed one day in the future, instead terminate in a small connection block and leave safely inside accessory.

bit confused over the red/green cable is this part of the electrical wiring connected to control unit or part of the internals old control unit. What colours are the live and neutral conductors that are connected?
Or did you mean yellow and green.
The link, suggests your cables are terminated to right side of the unit:L-N and L1-N1 are load side.
There is also symbol indicating double insulated unit, which require no earth connection, so if the spare cable is yellow and green, don't snipe or cut this back as may be needed one day in the future, instead terminate in a small connection block and leave safely inside accessory.

Thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify, there are three wires connected in the old thermostat that I want to replace: a red, a blue and a yellow one with a red jacket on it, as well as an earth. On the thermostat + timeswitch that I've bought, there are 5 wire sockets, labelled L, N, 1, 2 and 4 on the diagram. I've got no idea what does what and which wire should go where. I don't even know if I can replace the old thermostat with a thermostat + timeswitch. On this diagram:

http://www.thermsaver.co.uk/media/pdf/controls/thermsave-th-0470-timeswitch-programming-guide.pdf

The letters which are circled represent wire sockets (except 3). There is a L, N, 1, 2 and 4. All I know is that I'm working with a red, a blue, a yellow (with red jacket) and an earth wire. If anyone could tell me what goes where according to that circuit diagram, it'd be a massive help. If it's too messy or risky without testing the wires then I'll get an electrician in.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget to turn off the power.

You need to connect the Live and Neutral to L and N.

I would presume these are the Red and Blue respectively.
Do you remember if they were connected to L and N on the old thermostat?
If there is any doubt about this you will need to test which wire is which.

You will need a short red link wire from terminal L (with the red wire) to terminal 1.

Connect the Yellow with red sleeve to terminal 4.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back