Combi water usage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody now has much water would be used from a combi to the shower 5 yard run of pipe before hot water comes out of shower?

Looking at the cost wasted water as on meter and electric & gas to run.

second Q
would it be better to replace with Triton electric shower ?

thanks for help.

Sponsored Links
I know mothers Worcester Bosch boiler would start cold, go hot, then go cold, then hot again as the water in the reservoir would run out before the boiler had got up to heat, and I would guess each boiler is different.

Can't see it being worth using electric as we shower for long enough for the wasted water not to be enough.

I did live in a house with twin cisterns to supply shower, and a circulating pump, actually turned the pump off, the hot water pipes got the house too warm.

It has been a thought for some time, about fitting an electric water heater on the hot water supply to sink taps, but can't see it working with a shower.

Sponsored Links
5m of 15mm pipe contains much less than a litre, but you'll need to run it for a few seconds till it gets hot. Perhaps 5, 10 at most.
if the CH is on when you run the shower the amount of cold wasted will be greatly reduced

5m of 15mm pipe contains much less than a litre, but you'll need to run it for a few seconds till it gets hot. Perhaps 5, 10 at most.
Ideal Combi boilers said they could not help I would have thought with their products ans knowledge they should have known

I have a run of about 5.5m from my combi boiler to my shower room basin tap. Run this feed in 10mm butline.

Because it has less sitting water to dispose of it gets hot rather quick. A new kitchen is my next project and I'll run a 10mm feed to the kitchen tap. Your right to think of this as there is alot of gas and water wasted with combi boilers to sinks and basins

1m 15mm holds 0.14litres x 5 = 0.7litres @ between 0.3 and 0.9p/litre.

How quickly your boiler heats the water to a usable temp is the next question to be answered so run a shower from cold into a measuring jug to find out.

You can speed that up if you have enabled preheat on the combi keeping the hot water warm in the boiler but consuming gas for around 5-10 seconds every 25-30 minutes is going to cost you more consuming something we can not use again compared to something that will simply pass through a cleansing process and be available for reuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back