Combined drainage, extension - what would you do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My side kitchen extension is coming along. As I’m doing it myself as a novice I’m kind of working to my plans, but as expected I have to problem solve (make it up) as I go along.

Where to put the rainwater is an issue. BC said it should go into a soak away. Seeing as it drains to the front and I want to do my drive in the near future, this could be a problem. I’d much rather put it into the combined drain.

I’ve had a bit of an email conversation with my BCO, but his reply’s are very by the book and don’t seem to stray from that. He states that any new collected water should go to a soak away. However, I originally had outhouses and a lean to down the side which I knocked down. These did drain into the combined drain. So my reasoning is that no new water would enter the drain......

Can’t seem to get the obvious go ahead from him - what would you do?

Sponsored Links
Do you have no way to route 110mm pipe around your extension to the back?

If the BCO wont budge you wont be able to discharge into foul, which to be fair is wrong, even though its quite common in old houses.

Make sure you pass closely over the combined drain on route to the soakaway.

Put 4 Aquacells in a hole, show him then put them on e-bay.

Sponsored Links
Notch - not that he won’t budge, just states policy. It is this policy I’m trying to interpret in my favour by saying no “new” water is going down the drain.

Ian - this is one of my thoughts. But my first thought is to just put a bottle trap gulley straight into the foul and give him my thoughts when he questions it. If he won’t budge, then do the soak away, show him, then as you say flog it and reconnect to my original drain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back