Combined indoor/outdoor installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody,
I hope somebody was in that quite interesting situation. This is a cottage house and almost all wires are running in the walls. Except the socket installation which is running on one wall. It is going from the outlet on the garden wall (outside the house) to all sockets which are located on that wall (inside that house). This is ring. Wires (twin&earth- pvc sheath) are in the pvc conduit. Few days ago I had to replace part of it because it was cracked and caused mcb tripping. I informed my customer that it can happen againg- the condition of this wires is poor so we have decided to replace that outside part of the installation. I think it would be good to use one of this solutions:
1. Armoured cable running outside on the wall terminated inside the house and the rest of ring running in trunking.
2. Use the existing conduit and replace 6242 to Arctic Flex wire- cheaper solution
What would be your choice?

Thank`s for all answers!

Sponsored Links
Are you saying that the sockets are inside the house and the cables connecting them are outside the house ?

A hole through an outside wall directly behind a socket is NOT a good idea when one thinks about water ingress.

Are the walls brick or stone ? Is there effective damp control in place ?

Photos would help to understand the situation well enough to give best advice.

Yes,
this is exactly as you said. The sockets are inside and they are fed from outside straight behind the socket. I know that this done in a wrong way and that`s why I need to think about the best solution.

It is going from the outlet on the garden wall (outside the house) to all sockets which are located on that wall (inside that house).
Well how does the supply get to that socket? And why can't it go inside to the inside sockets?

What would be your choice?
Have the cables inside. Use pyro in mortar joins if they can't be easily buried.

Sponsored Links
Have the cables inside. Use pyro in mortar joins if they can't be easily buried.

It`s good idea. I think I am going to convince my customer to go this way. Thank you for the answer.[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back