Combustible materials around boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys. Had a boiler conversion last week and now have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 4000 combi boiler. Got a quick question about the old flue hole that's left behind by the gas engineer. It's been roughly bricked up internally but we still have cavity wall insulation dropping down. I noticed that he packed around the bottom of the new flue with kitchen roll and I also noticed he'd left a piece of cardboard behind the new boiler which was put on the wall overnight to stop draughts. I've removed the kitchen roll and will get the engineer back to fill the gap with something more suitable but before I ask him about the cardboard I just want to see if it's against any regulations and needs to be removed, or is the boiler so well sealed that's it's simply not an issue? Just looking for a second opinion before I approach him about it.

Thanks, Paul.

Sponsored Links
Not an issue. The outer section of the concentric flue is the air inlet duct.

In any case flue temperature on a condensing boiler is so low that inner section through which the exhaust gasses pass is made of plastic.

Sorry I can see that you meant the cardboard isn't an issue as I've already removed the kitchen roll!

What's best to use to fill the gap around the flue? Fire rated expanding foam?

Sponsored Links
I've sent a message so I'll see what he says. The priority was to ensure he hasn't left the boiler in a compromised state with the cardboard, etc. first.

Internal - external?
External is totally bricked up so no issues there. The inside is bricked up too, but the cavity wall insulation (polystyrene balls) are still finding their way out somehow and onto the kitchen counter. Just need the inner skin patched with something to stop this happening (and preferably not kitchen roll).

It's not really about what he says, he (edit) shouldn't be leaving the flue space unsealed and he needs to finish it. Part of the Job.
I've raised it with Boxt who are assessing it based on photos I've submitted. They'll have him back out to sort it out I'm sure.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back