COMBUSTION CHAMBER SEAL?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
Got a Saunier Duval Thelia 23 Boiler. :oops:

Looking for the foam seal strip for the combustion chamber front panel.
The old piece I have from the boiler looks nothing special. 10mm sq foam with double tape on the side.
Does anyone know a good supplier for Saunier parts or Is there a Universal type of seal available?
Shimmy.

Sponsored Links
We dont advise DIYers to even open the combustion chamber!

Get a reg gas engineer who can deal with it safely!

Tony

Hi there - I think I am in the same position.

My boiler clicks on and off repeatedly (both with hot water and heating) and I think the seal has perished to the extent that it doesn't seal.

Any idea wher I can get a replacement?

Thanks
H

Sponsored Links
Trouble is you see - knowing who is and isn't competent (merely having a certificate means nothing)

I don't want to be ripped off for someone to remove a perished seal and stick a new one in its place.

I would really appreciate it (if you know of course) of a reputable spare parts supplier where I can obtain this 6 foot of sticky back foam.

Of course, if this doesn't do the trick I will call an enginner if they actually have to work inside the boiler.

Replacing the seal means working inside the boiler, so your not even aloud to do that yourself, where abouts are you based?

Why do you imagine that a gas engineer is going to rip you off?

Do you rip people off?

Ok well, this is what has happened so far:

Boiler "covered" by Homeserve.

1. Boiler has trouble kicking in with hot water and starts clicking on and off when it does get going, I call Homeserve and they send an engineer.
2. Engineer changes the water switch (is that right) so it now starts ok. He leaves.
3. I run the hot water and it starts immediately but now clicks on and off is the best way to describe it. I call Homeserve again.
4. A different engineer comes round and changes the air switch at the top of the boiler. It works ok and he leaves.
5. Next day same problem. Clicks on and off but this time with heating as well as hot waler. I call Homeserve AGAIN, having done a bit of research, and ask them to make sure they have a combustion chamber seal with them.
6. New engineer turns up, agrees with me that it's the combustion chamber seal, but doesn't have one in his van.
7. I am still waiting for them to get back to me, so I thought I'd do it myself. This clicking on and off is driving me mad and it can't be any good for the boiler.

How come TWO engineers didn't spot a perished combustion chamber seal? It's a £5 spare part and, from what I read, frequently perishable.

Oh - he told me that it had to be a special seal so as to be fireproof.

Well I cut a tiny fingernail sized bit of the existing, perished seal off, spiked it on a pin, and tested it with a lighter. It burned with a thick black smoke as you'd expect any foam to burn - i.e. the seal is not fireproof. The engineer was lying.

Why would you think he was lying and not just under a misapprehension?
Whatever, you still shouldn't be changing it yourself if you don't know how to test it afterwards.

how can you be ripped off if your paying for a monthly contract ?it's not like you will get charged any more when homeswerve eventually come to replace it.

Yes sorry I meant if Homeserve never bother coming back and I have to call someone new, with the associated call-out charges.

Obviously Plan A is to have them come out.

Wish I had gone for a local firm now.

replace it yourself then but don't come back here saying you've killed your family when it's gone wrong.

Ok - well - if I switch off the boiler, take off the cover, disturb nothing at all, carefully remove the old perished seal, clean it so the new one sticks properly, stick the new one around the inside of the case, and replace the cover - what really could go wrong?

If I am not touching anyting else, and the boiler is off, when it is switched back on it won't know any difference other than there is a better seal.

I would totally agree with you about touching, replacing or adjusting anything else - any pipe, valve, switch etc. But really, a seal on the case?

Could you explain what specifically could go wrong directly as a result of changing the seal on the inside of the case?

A positive pressure boiler could be deadly under certain circumstances if the seal wasn't sealing properly. You haven't said what yours is but the chances are it's not one of them.
Do ya feel lucky punk? Well do ya. :LOL:

Hi sorry I assumed it was implied as I posted on the same thread for Saunier Duval Thelia 23.

As the fan is at the top drawing air up and out, I assume mine is a negative pressure one...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back