Comfort zone under floor cable

Just for clarity for the OP ...
Thete are different types of heating cable, but for UFH I think it's normal to have what you have there. The two cores in the cable are the heating element - the full element is the round trip from live connection, to the joint at the far end, then back tobthe neutral connection. The cable is not standard copper, but the "cold tail" (i.e. the bit of 3 core you connect to the supply) is.
Now, you may be able to repair the heating wirecwith your red crimps - but do you have copper or aluminium ones ? Copper will be a disimmilar metal and so make the joint liable to corrosion - but aluminium crimps would just be looking for the merest chance to turn into white powder. As an asise, BT used aluminium cables at one time - I bet they have none left in service having had to replace them, whike they'll have a lot of much older copper still going.
But how are you repairing the screen ? It's an important part of the cable and must be intact and complete over the whole of the cable - inckuding and repairs and the end termination. Primarily it's so that a fault (water penetrating failed insulation, someone putting a nail through it) results in a fault to earth and trips the RCD rather than making the floor live. Electric UFH has it's own section in the "wiring regs".

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back