Running Cable Over Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all

Have a kitchen refurb, with part of the floor being suspended, the other part solid concrete.

Looking at extending sockets to a wall that has none, and would be fine under the floor, but then has to somehow traverse the solid floor and into the wall.

Can I

- Run the cable under the wood floor, out in flexible conduit, clipped to the floor (all obscured by new kitchen cabinets, and then into the wall chase for the sockets in question?

OR

- Clip to the wall, again, probably in flexicon as there is a boiler, gas, water, two zone heating etc in the way and I won't be in the safe zones, and will be a mess abridging about 8 Copper pipes.

Sponsored Links
why don't you run it round the walls of the room?

Is it a socket circuit?

Pipes, and boiler in the way.

I could run over the pipes, but would mean I would need to build out the tiles even more to make a safe abridge over the copper pipes. Boiler and flue are are in way too.

.... part of the floor being suspended, the other part solid concrete. ... Can I .... Run the cable under the wood floor, out in flexible conduit, clipped to the floor (all obscured by new kitchen cabinets, and then into the wall chase for the sockets in question?
Are you saying that all of the cable which was not under the wooden part of the floor would be clipped to the surface of a concrete floor beneath the 'floor' ('bottom shelf') of a kitchen unit, on it's way to the wall chase? If so, although not ideal, I can't see too much wrong with that - but other opinions may differ!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
John, spot on.

It's not what I wanted, but taking up the floor is not something I am keen to do.

Regs seem to be kinda silent on it.

John, spot on. It's not what I wanted, but taking up the floor is not something I am keen to do. Regs seem to be kinda silent on it.
Pragmatically, I'd probably do as you suggest.

There are vague regulations about protection of cable from mechanical (and other 'environmental') damage, but I would personally consider that to be reasonably well covered by being beneath a 'fixed' kitchen unit.

Kind Regards, John

You can lay the cables on the floor under the kitchen units.
Or clip them to the wall behind/under the kitchen units.

Don't clip to the concrete floor - you never know if there are pipes or cables in it.

Flexi conduit under kitchen units isn't really needed, though could provide some protection I suppose.

Don't clip to the concrete floor - you never know if there are pipes or cables in it.
I was assuming that the OP was talking about 'glued on' clips - but, as you say, just 'lying on the floor' underneath the kitchen units would probably be OK.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back