Comfort zone under floor cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just purchased. Roll of under floor heating cable from comfort zone manufacturer accidentally cut the cable I.have repaired it
And put a multimeter on to check continuity. can I now plug it to see if it gets hot or do I need a probe and thermostat attached for it to work .

Sponsored Links
You can plug just the floor cable in. Use a suitably sized fuse, and don’t leave it on for long.

If you wire it through the stat then you will need a floor probe.

I put a plug on it and turned it on
I'm getting. current through it,
but it didn't get warm or hot ?
I did.a continuity check by cutting the end off
Does anyone know if the blue and brown are supposed to be joined at the end of the cable
Opposite end to the plug ? Is that what warms the cable ?
Really need a qualified electrician to understand how it's supposed to be wired

IMG-20191205-WA0013.jpeg IMG-20191205-WA0010.jpeg IMG-20191205-WA0013.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I did.a continuity check by cutting the end off
You should not have done that!

The end must be connected. How are you going to reconnect it?
You need to test continuity between the blue and brown wires on the black cable. tell us how many ohms to get from your test.

If you’ve damaged the cable, and “repaired” it, and now cut the end off the element, then be prepared to have to pay for a new reel of heater cable.

I been told to connect the 2 wires together at the end of the cable and cut the earth back completely by crimping

Silly question can't I just use these to reconnect them heat shrink wrap them
IMG_20191207_092448415.jpg

Just connected all up and getting a resistance reading of 50 which is what the label on the cable says
So am I good to install into self level screed.

Does the cable now heat up?

how will you ensure that your repairs do not, and can not, come into contact with the screed. If it does, then when you turn it on the RCD will instantly trip.

By totally insulating the connections I have made then heat shrink wrapped them all .
I'm guessing that will do it

I don't think I would ever even use electrical ufh. Mainly because of the pain it is when it fails as it usually requires removing tiles and often digging into screed; and we hear enough reports of such systems which have stopped working even when installed properly. I would certainly not risk this happening with cable that has been repaired after cutting. The consequences of a failure are just too great.

I agree with DetleSchmitz, for peace of mind, fit new, undamaged products under the floor.

It's bad enough when these things go wrong as it is, without fitting things that have already been tampered with.

For the sake of a few quid...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back