Commercial kitchen extract fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been told that its taking about 45 mins to "get going." Could it be the starting capacitor, or speed control unit, or grease buildup? I know you can't give a definitive answer but hoping someone here has had a similar problem.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like either a grease build up or almost ceased bearings.

Running it whilst the blades are stalled will quickly burn the motor out.

Hmm ceased bearings. They say it was fitted approx 6 months ago. We're having a look hopefully tomorrow so we'll see.

check the controller and motor are compatible

Also bypass the controller and see how it performs connected direct.

Take note of the colours and connections though as there not always straightforward.

Sponsored Links
Some would need links altering in the fan terminal box if you omit the controller.

Is it three phase or single phase?

Single phase from what i can gather.
I've had encounters with commercial fans before and from what Im told its a Woods cased axial. I think they have a removable rubber gromet near the impellors. Im hoping this will allow me to see if they're spinning freely. Can't get much more info till i have a look. Thanks for your thoughts so far.

Sorted. Overnight, liquid grease had solidified into a pool into which an impellor sat. Surprised it didn't knacker the motor.

Yes. My freshly washed uniform covered in carp first thing Monday morning (angry face)

I keep a box of latex gloves in my van for such delights! The worst thing I find is having to degrease all my hand tools afterwards. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back