Commercial tests

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was asked by a maintenance manager today:

"If we added an additional 20a single phase supply on an existing consumer unit to power an air conditioner isolator to outside (we are doing the a/c install only) what test certificates of the new circuit are a legal requirement? "

The board is within it's inspection due date

He asked his subbie electricians (two different companies) and got two different answers..

Which isn't surprising as they both quoted for another job one insisted 32mm armoured was needed and the other said 16 mm was ok according to his calc...But we won't go into that and you can guess who won the job!

TIA

Sponsored Links
There is no such size as 32mm². 35mm² is the closest. How far is this point/how is it routed from the distribution board as even 16mm seems way over the top ?

Even with a fair route round the building, I wouldn't envisage more than 10mm2...unless there are some serious derating factors in play.

Sponsored Links
I assume the A/C chap is confusing 16amp & 32amp with cable sizes.

he totally did!

Of course he did!

however this was part of a 5 year project and as it stand is running at max 18 a. the guarantee will be long gone when the rest is installed -although we expect a max running of 45a tops then in any case... (assumes these phases get signed off)

It's just a manufacturers hang over from over spec'ing the fuse rating.
IE spec a 32a 3p+n for a unit which runs at max 18a and is inverter driven so start current is less than 1a. Why?

Daikin used to spec 16a supply for an indoor unit which drew 1.2a on high fan!(outdoor unit has to be fed from elsewhere)Madness

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back