Commission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my dilemma is this.. I've been a qualified painter for the last 25 years, just moved to a new area in U.K. so have no client base, a relative who's a builder has given me painting work but takes £5 an hour off me in commission for supplying me with the work. Not sure if this is normal, but what about tax, if I'm giving 10k away a year on commission do I just tell tax office when doing self assessment, as he's a relative don't really want to drop him in the brown stuff. Replies would be appreciated as far as commission goes as this is new to me.

Sponsored Links
He seems to be charging you quite a lot. If he was a friend or family-oriented you might give him a drink now and again, or a bottle at Christmas, but he seems to be acting like he is your agent or you are his sub-contractor.

If you are a subbie you only have to declare the payment you receive.

As for commission, either you pay income tax on it, or he does. Since he is getting the money, he should be paying the tax. Perhaps he thinks it is an under-the-counter tax-free payment, but it seems unfair that you are having to pay tax on money you don't get. He's not showing himself to be much of a relative.

If you are working locally, get plenty of cards and flyers printed. Tell your satisfied customers that if they recommend you to a friend and get a job out of it, you will pay them £10.

If you have your own van, get it signwritten or buy magnetic signs saying Joe Bloggs of Bermondsey (or wherever), professional painter, established 1991, free estimates, no obligation. Park it prominently wherever you are working. Make it look clean and tidy. Give a flyer to anyone who stops on the pavement and has a look.

John D thanks for the reply. So, just to be totally clear, is it not the norm that when a contractor recommends me for work to a customer of theirs that they have been working for over a number of years, that I am liable to pay the contractor a percentage commission from that job? Sorry to be so naive but a couple of tradesmen in the area have suggested that this is legit.

Sponsored Links
Legit isn't the right word really, but giving you work in return for a commission is the norm the world over. The trick is to negotiate a rate that is acceptable to both parties, and this obviously isn't good for you. I'm not sure what you're charging, but I'd almost guess that he's taking about a third to a quarter of your wages, and that's a lot of commission.

As to the tax situation, you can either declare the whole amount, and then put the commission down as a cost, or play safe and just declare the final amount you receive just in case the tax man decides to query the arrangement. And as you won't have an invoice from your relative, the tax man could decide to charge you tax on the commission, so best to play safe.

It may be that you've got to swallow being ripped off till you build your customer base, but giving someone £10 as a commission/thank you for passing on work might be construed by some as a bit measly, so sometimes, offering a bottle of wine can take the monetary aspect out of the equation, but if you're works good, and you're helpful and friendly and keep everything clean and tidy, that will often be what gets you recommended to others, with no costs involved. Just leave a few cards with the client, and see what happens.

And best of luck with the relative when he loses the nice income stream.

What normally happens is you tell the builder you want £160 per day (for example) then he would probably chage you out at £200 so both you and the builder are making what you want.

As they say you can't choose your family.
As Cheshire says usually if included in the quote the builder would have himself covered.
Is this a reciprocal arrangement if you put him onto a 6 month house build is he going to give you £5/hr.
Personally I would tell him to do one and plough your own furrow, ad in the paper, letters/emails to local builders, knock on sites, letting agents,trade sites etc

Sponsored Links
Back