common sense approach

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The EU should take a common sense approach & reconsider bringing spare part circulating pumps under the ERP directive by 2020.

The move will require boilers installed before September 2015 not fitted with ERP pumps at the time of manufacture to be fitted with one should the original fail.

This may not be possible ? If a repair is not possible a customer/consumer may be required to replace the boiler

there is a huge amount of doubt , risk, & potential inconvenience attached to the legislation ??

trade associations are attempting to lobby the EU on this point ( common sense ? EU ? good luck )

Sponsored Links
I suspect that by the time the original pump fails, a compliant one will have been made.

Sponsored Links
Yes, in the short term, it could well do so. I'd argue for a replacement boiler if that happened, in that the manufacturer would have been aware of the issues, and therefore a failed pump would invalidate the whole boiler, and make it unfit for it's intended purpose. The manufacturers may make a bypass kit for the pump position, and then supply an external pump in the short term - I know, sounds daft, but I'm trying to think outside the box.

ERP directive? I havent got a clue, never heard of it.

I guess its nothing to do with that straight banana directive (EC) No 2257/94 :)

God Notch, you're on a computer, and you didn't google it. Sigh, I just don't now what to make of you some days.

Another myth peddled by lying anti-Europeans, and believed by numbskulls.

Yes, in the short term, it could well do so. I'd argue for a replacement boiler if that happened, in that the manufacturer would have been aware of the issues, and therefore a failed pump would invalidate the whole boiler, and make it unfit for it's intended purpose. The manufacturers may make a bypass kit for the pump position, and then supply an external pump in the short term - I know, sounds daft, but I'm trying to think outside the box.

Or, "outside the casing":)

Not really; it's about the EU imposing regulations that may well make a boiler useless, if the pump breaks down before a new one that conforms to the regs has been designed as a replacement. The manufacturers have had enough time to do it, but as Transam suspects, they could be using the need for a replacement, as a way of forcing a boiler upgrade.

Only today I had the EU Police knock on the door wanting to check the wattage of my toaster.

Luckily they didn't notice I had fitted a British 10kW element in it.

You couldn't make it up - oh wait a minute.

Sponsored Links
Back