compartment floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a loft room. We are moving the stairs - to a different area of the house (at the moment they go through another room.. we plan to run the new stairs over the existing ones, and block up the old staircase.

We have been told to 'create a compartment floor' by building control - so add fire doors (both to the loft, and the 4 bedroom doors below - served by the same staircase.

Having attempted to read the regs - the only part I can find about adding more fire doors - is when you have a loft conversion (the council have written in regard to our loft conversion) .. but we do not have a loft conversion, we had a room (before the builders started).

Can I perswade that the loft has always been there - or do they not shift on such things?

I'd rather not change the existing doors (they are 1890's)... although the builder has suggested we can paint them with special paint.. does that actually result in a good finish.. or just a rubbish door.

Sponsored Links
If the loft room was original to the house, and if you are not making the escape provision any worse, you would not need to upgrade the floor or fit fire doors.
(you would need Building Regs for the structural alterations required to shift the stairs, and possibly for the new floor when the space over the existing stairs is covered in).

(If the existing stairs are in a 1st floor room, it is possible that the conversion was done some time after the house was built, in which case Building Control could insist on full compliance).

Slapping intumescent paint on existing doors does not turn them into fire doors. Sometimes, existing doors can be upgraded, but inspector's opinions vary on this. You also have to ensure that the frames are robust enough.

Slapping intumescent paint on existing doors does not turn them into fire doors. Sometimes, existing doors can be upgraded, but inspector's opinions vary on this. You also have to ensure that the frames are robust enough.
It's more complicated than that though, it depends on the inspectors and the condition and type of existing doors. And the cost of upgrading often means its just as economical to replace existing doors with new, though when they are odd sizes not so much, as new made to measure fire doors can be big bucks.

f any modifications are made to period doors it would be unlikely that you will be able to provide and certification to prove their fire integrity during a fire.
Eh? The whole principle behind upgrading existing doors is being able to retain period doors and provide them with an upgraded fire resistance.

Sponsored Links
For a single-family two-storey dwelling being converted to three-storey by a loft conversion, the fire doors do not have to be 30 mins - 20 mins will do, though they are hard to get now.
They don't have to have self-closers, nor intumescent strips.

Ok , I think I get it the - loft was not original =- house build 1890's loft added 1920's. So will have to comply

To be honest the flooring part is no hassle and will add some sound proofing - so I'm ok with it.. adding the fire door also no hassle as the loft does not have a door.

Now to the 4 original doors on the 1st floor - do I ask building control what they would accept - or do you guys have ideas..

would the paint do - does the paint have a nice finish - or is it an undercoat. The original doors are solid wood and have lovely panels - they are all large - slightly random sizes.. so replacing them with 'new solid' fire doors I think will cost a fair bit.

Any advice gratefully received :)

thanks

As above, this is going to depend on inspector. A sensible one would take a view and come to a compromise. Smoke is the main issue rather than fire resistance. Intumescent strips activate at about 10million degrees C so if you ever find yourself behind a door with a strip between you and a fire the other side you know you're in trouble.

There is one door on the ground floor that opens to the hallway - and yes - that will be a fire door

Thanks = I'm going to ask BC - if they can think of a compromise. .I imagine possibly not.

If I end up going down the route of new doors (some will need to be new anyway) I'm looking for heavy 4 panelled ones -my last house had beautiful panels but they were 'empty core' ... and oh so light! where is the best place?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back