Complete breakdown of material costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just wondered if anyone had posted a comprehensive breakdown of their costs for an extension? And I mean a spreadsheet of everything from bricks, blocks and wall ties, to roof timber, tiles and nails.
I appreciate that every project is different, but it would be really useful to see some of these, even if just to spot something and think 'ahh, I forgot to include that in my own calculations'

Sponsored Links
Yeah I'd be interested too, as these normally cost several hundred £'s to work out.

I use a prepared (by me) checking list of materials etc when pricing extensions. As well as the obvious stuff like bricks, blocks, aggregate etc, there are also more obscure things like skips, grab waggons, crane, garage door, loft hatch, pad stones, roof tile bumper, genie lift, fire doors etc.

I have about 60 or so main items listed, with a good ten of those having sub division options, should I need a more accurate breakdown (usually for smaller jobs).

All of the items I price for are collectively included in the bottom line quote figure and are not all listed and not individually priced. I just provide an abbreviated description of materials included.

As Woody said, what you are asking for is very time consuming and a pain in the back end.

And when you think you've got everything covered, add 20% for the things you've forgot or don't yet know about.

Sponsored Links
And when you think you've got everything covered, add 20% for the things you've forgot or don't yet know about.

I heard of a guy from the West Midlands that turned to prostitution after busting his extension budget. Poor guy.

I heard of a guy from the West Midlands that turned to prostitution after busting his extension budget. Poor guy.
The lows some will stoop to just to finish a job. Disgusting

Give me 5 minutes and I’ll post my costings. Just be aware these are a few grand off...... not that I’m that person who has busted his budget that Ian mentioned......

I have and am still using different "Software build Up Packages" supplied by various loss Adjusters and Insurers.

Once you have an understanding of how the package works they are generally good to use but still time consuming for example working out the cost of say an £80K Insurance repair job will take you [once you learn how to use the Software] about 4 or 5 hrs.

Now the problem is that it is OK to spend that amount of time on one costing but totally impracticable to supply such a piece of work for all jobs, no matter the size

One or two packages did give breakdowns to the level of number of Plasterboard panels, cost of [and type] of doors, length of skirting, Architraves, Etc. Etc. Etc

These packages also can give a breakdown of hours by trade Etc. Etc. Etc.

Now for the kicker, a lot, not all packages are bespoke, as such they have cost the insurer a load of £££ some are "modified" off the shelf systems, such as Xatimate [other estimating packages are available]

But no matter how good the estimating package is to use or indeed the cost to obtain and such as Xatimate you are charged by that company every time you use the package, it boils down to crap in crap out, the driving force being the Pilot.

Ken

Jesus, how many different things are in an extension 20? 30?

6 trades?

4 skips?

3, 4 items of plant hire?

12 weeks?

But above all, 1 set of drawings ...... with errrr ...... everything on them. :rolleyes:

Someone else's costs are no good if they got their stuff from Mr Singh on the corner, and you will get yours from Homebase down at the retail park.

Right - Don't let Excel fool you with my back of fag packet working out. Recon I'm approx £3K out - I have a water tight shell, plumbing and electric - Just finishing the damn thing off and connecting up..... Got a feeling some sides are gonna ache tomorrow!

Attachments

• diynot.pdf
    381.3 KB · Views: 759
Thanks pilsbury - that's exactly what I was looking for! I knew there had to be someone else out there, with an addiction to spreadsheets

much less detail in mine - but just incase it helps - the ONLY labour here was for digger driver and electrician - everything else is just materials
this is for a 2 storey, externally complete, upstairs fit out complete.

Attachments

• ext-costs.pdf
    26.5 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 242
Skips and grabs are a massive cost..... I only had a single grab for my foundation spoil. £150. I have a no skip policy as I’m a skinflint and recon I’d have done 7 builders skips at £200 a pop. Luckily with my trailer and the tip 5 minutes away, time and effort is all it cost. They know me well. By name.

there was a lot of demolition of old outhouses/garage/full of stuff for mine which was all builders skips at 170 each
the rest was 3x 16 ton grabs at 170-180 ish a go for the muckaway for the foundations, which there were a lot of as included a garage and single storey kitchen extension not built yet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back