Completely hypothetical breakdown costs of new build home?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just trying to get a ball park figure for possible project that I may look into down the line. So this is all by the by and ball park estimates are perfectly fine.

So let us say that I bought a site on a mature housing estate in the Dublin area(or London/Glasgow/Manchester etc)

Then, let us say that a modern type modular house was placed on the site. And the measurements of the home are something like this.

12Metres(40Ft) X 4M. I actual fact it'd be 12M log on one side, 5M wide at the back and then 6M log at the other side(so kind of ''L'' shaped). But to keep it simple lets say 12M X 4M.

How much would a foundation cost?

How much would an electrical installation cost? (it'd have 2 bedrooms)

How much would a plumbing installation cost?

How much would sewage installation cost?

How much would basic internal rendering cost?

How much would exterior insulation cost on the roof 12M X 4M and on 1 X 12M wall and 1 X 4M wall?

All ball park estimates would be fine!!!

:mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Ten grand.

Ten grand.

Ten grand.

Ten grand.

Ten grand.

..and..er...Ten grand.

Or if it is more complex than i thought, then double it.

Sponsored Links
You can buy log cabin kits.

This is a good angle to look into alright. It should help keep costs down. But what if I went one further. Container homes? Shipping containers are being used now also.
So again, let us say a 40ft shipping container and 2 X 20 foot shipping containers were placed beside each other? It's need an entrance door and say 3 windows. Insulation, maybe internal plastering, electricity, plumbing, sewage? Let me know what else if you can? And again more or less the price of each thing if it is any different to what has already been listed above? Ball park figures are fine.

What about the fifty odd other items you've not mentioned?

Don't be shy? Let's hear them?

Anyway, I ay not need any more or even all of what was mentioned. And it is just hypothetical at the moment. :)

Did you even mention the build? Or am I going mad?

Not really no. But I did give the idea that the building was in place.
But like my last post, let us assume that the home will be a modern modular type home. Basically 2 or 3 shipping containers, 1 X 40 foot and 1 or 2 X 20 foot.
Some amazing modern designs can be made with these things. See here:

https://www.google.ie/search?q=ship...w&biw=1486&bih=710&sei=UwsYUbyPCoyFhQew6oGgAg

are you going to get planning permission for a shipping container house on a mature housing estate?

That is another concern alright. But from what my initial diggings have told me, is that if the outside is rendered with the surroundings in mind, that it may just get permission. Also, the sites I would be looking at wouldn't be so visible. One example I've seen recently is behind an old house, where a derelict ruined bungalow currently stands. You cannot see the bungalow from the main street, and so that should make it a little easier also.

But again, this is all hypothetical anyway. I'm just trying to weigh up some options and ideas for future reference which would likely be a couple of years off anyway! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back