Completely Open Circuit On Switch Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Concluded some fault-finding today.

The kitchen lighting flickered then went out with a bang. The other day, I went to the switch & could not find anything there. So I went round all fittings to see if I could find anything. Nope. All I could see on the kitchen downlighters were switched feeds.

So I returned today after the customer made access through the plasterboard (laminate upstairs, don't you know!)

I found several chock blocks not enclosed. All OK there, although it stank of an amateur installation, with a mix of grey 1.0 and white 2.5.

Then the customer extended the hole. This exposed a whole nest of connectors that were obviously the site of a disused fitting. These were sandwiched between a bearer & the plasterboard.

Then I found a JB with three cables attached, one just cut off. Dead, but why don't people take this stuff out? Ditto an old immersion switch fed via VIR.

Then I looked at the switch cable at the switch position. It was set in a stud wall. I removed the dry-lining box & got my maglite in the cavity. The cable went down and across. I could just see it was trapped between the plasteboard & the studding...

I then followed the switch cable from the other end back towards the switch. I found yet more joints in cables, this time twisted & taped (no blocks). The whole job was utter pants. Even two downlighters had been cut out of plasterboard actually overlapping the joist so it cut a semi-circle out of the timber...

This job supposedly overseen and signed off by the local BCO.

Anyhow, eventually, I found the cause of the O/C switch cable: :eek:

BurntCableJoint-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Sorry guys...I've now rotaty'd the piccy. But yes, you're right.

This job supposedly overseen and signed off by the local BCO.
Send a report with photos to:

1) Your councillor (assuming you live in the same jurisdiction).

2) The Borough Solicitor and the District Auditor, accompanied by an allegation of fraud by Building Control.

3) Local media.

Basically be a seagull.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back