Completely wireless heating control options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My builders plumber and electrician obviously never spoke to one another and as such there is no wire installed to connect a hot water programmer in the airing cupboard on the first floor to the boiler on the ground floor. Whilst this it their problem to sort out, I have been looking at wireless options to overcome the need to install a wire.

So far the Honeywell Sundial RF2 pack 3 or 4 seems to fit the bill and possibly the TADO smart thermostat system.

What, if any, other options do I have?

Are these a safe bet or should Insist on a hardwire (my house has brick internal walls and I'm worried about a weak signal)

Thanks in advance.

Jon

Sponsored Links
There's loads of wireless thermostats and smart controllers. Hive, Nest, Lyric, EvoHome etc... and it all depends on what functionality you want/need from them as some are overkill if you only want a simple solution. As for the signal, most of them operate on RF which should go through brick walls without any real issues and tend to be much better than wireless with less interference.

Hi Thanks,

Most of those that offer hot water control Hive, Nest Etc seem to have a unit that replaces an existing programmer that is already wired to turn the boiler on and off.

Or am I wrong?

Jon

You are correct they do replace the existing programmer/thermostat. Or at least most of them do, I'm sure there will be exceptions :)

Sponsored Links
Hi Yes that's the problem, I don't have an existing programmer in the airing cupboard and no switching wire to the boiler. Its a system boiler and I have a hot water cylinder so any wireless controls need to be able to turn on the boiler remotely to control the hot water. Not many of the wirless systems do that, or am I mistaken?

Regards,

Jon

There are ones that control both heating and hot water. e.g the evohome has wireless relays for both heating and hot water so no wires are needed between the two.

Evohome or sundial pack. Doing an Evohome at the moment. There is much snipping of wires:

1486464127755-1239732115.jpg

As for the signal, most of them operate on RF which should go through brick walls without any real issues and tend to be much better than wireless with less interference.

What do you think is the difference between RF ( radio frequency ? ) and wireless ?. They are the same. What you appear to be saying is that wireless ( you called it RF ) is better than wireless.

Are these a safe bet or should Insist on a hardwire (my house has brick internal walls and I'm worried about a weak signal)
No wireless system that uses a Licence Exempt frequency ever can be a safe bet. Anyone else can legally use type approved equipment that same frequency and signal from that equipment may block signals on your wireless system. There is also an abundance of illegal to use equipment ( high power output ) that can be bought, some is sold as jamming equipment.

Insist on a hard wire link,

What do you think is the difference between RF ( radio frequency ? ) and wireless ?. They are the same. What you appear to be saying is that wireless ( you called it RF ) is better than wireless.

My bad, what I actually meant was lower frequency RF that has less interference/traffic compared with the likes of 2.4ghz etc...

Evohome or sundial pack. Doing an Evohome at the moment. There is much snipping of wires:

View attachment 113698

Thanks Evo-home looks like the way forward then

No wireless system that uses a Licence Exempt frequency ever can be a safe bet. Anyone else can legally use type approved equipment that same frequency and signal from that equipment may block signals on your wireless system. There is also an abundance of illegal to use equipment ( high power output ) that can be bought, some is sold as jamming equipment.

Insist on a hard wire link,

Out of interest, and because I think I might end up threading any wires through for them what sort of cable should I use?

Regards,

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back