Completion Certificates...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did a self build in 1995 (Wales) with a full plans BC approval. This all went without a hitch worth mentioning; and the build was warrantied for 10 years by Zurich's self-build scheme. Effectively, there were 2 'certifying' bodies signing off the various stages of build.

The thing is, I neither have, nor ever recall receiving a 'completion certificate'. I'm raising it now due to reading a reference in another thread suggesting a 1995 ish introduction of such certificates. So, when did they become the norm?

I'm not sweating over it- we ain't going anywhere, and when we make the final trip it'll be my daughter's pronlem and she's a clever girl!

Any observations welcome.

Sponsored Links
when i did my self build, i got a completion certificate from the local authority building control, who we had been using instead of a private company. thats possibly one angle you could try.

A completion certificate is an optional extra and not an essential statutory document (unless it was done by an approved inspector, final certificate). I recall they were around in the 1980's but no one ever bothered getting one, as long as the final inspection was carried out that was usually enough.

They seem to have become more popular as solicitors are asking for them as part of the house sale so it is only an issue if you intend to sell and the buyers solicitor is overly pedantic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back