complicated heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to work out exactly how to do a system I am planning to install into my house.
I plan on having a log burning boiler stove and a solar system as my only forms on heating and hot water.
Now would it be possible to plumb it so the boiler and solar heat a 200+ litre tank of water through coils and my hot tap water would also be through a coil so I would be wanting a triple coil vented cylinder but I not quite sure how the radiators are plumbed in? Would they need to be on a coil or would they be plumbed direct out the tank.
I plan on it being that if the log burner is on the rads are on and in the summer the solar thermal will heat the hot water so I will not need to use the log burner. I will of course have an immersion element option but that would be in emergencies as I dread to think how much 200 litres of water would cost to heat electrically
. Anyway any advice would be greatly interesting and if anyone has ever come across a similar system I would be very interested to hear how well it was. I am trying to be as carbon neutral as possible and plan on a pv system after this is working
:eek: :confused: :eek: :eek: :eek: ¾

Sponsored Links
Do you have a free source of dry wood to burn?

And an hour a day to cut and split it?

Tony

Yes to the first and second question. and the previous owner was spending like a lot of people in that area over 1000 pounds a year on heating oil. With an old boiler in need of replacing and having to pay out 700 to fill the tank its been decided boiler stove and solar are a cheaper alternative on a five year scale especially with how much oil and electricity rises each year.

Sponsored Links
By my Calculations it will cost around £1.60 to heat 200 litres from 10c to 60c by electricity.

If you have an E7 meter it would be around 60p overnight.

Heating it by oil, would be about 80p........

These figures assume the whole thing will be cold every time, with no residual heat (unlikely), so it is a worst case scenario.

If you are looking at PV, youve missed the boat. When the Feed in Teriff was 44p per kw, it was worth it. Now it is 16p for new entrants. The only way to have any chance of recovering your investment is to fit cheapo Chinese panels.

Its not widely reported, but the Chinese solar panel industry is in a terrible state. Yingli for instance have had to lay off 2500 of their 3000 workers due to the drop in demand. Their debts are astonishing.

Heating your house by wood is very hard work, you live the dream, I'll stay on oil.

Incidentally, people forget that crude oil was made by the World and is also thus renewable - it just takes longer.

11.5kw Boiler stove, flue, register plate, existing good quality chimney, chimney pot, £900 full system re plumb including 28mm copper including radiators £500 cylinder £600 solar system 1200 extras £300 £3500. Yes I do know a plumber builder roofer heating engineer and luckily they all want some electrics dining soon so I really only paying for material I am looking at a long ten year plan and if it doesn't come right I will have the option of adding air source heat pump which I have sourced a cheap one at 1000 so I think over ten years I should be able to make something back and break even with inflation and the cost of oil and its increase I don't think I will lose out and I am on about solar thermal with evacuated tubes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back