Composite door howling on a windy day.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new door fitted end of February.
At first it was like opening and closing a air lock but over time it's opens and closes like a normal door. The trouble is whenever it's windy it's stats to make a noise.
They guy who fitted it and another tradesman tighten the door but says there is no fault with the door but the noise stops when I open the door.
Last Sunday I couldn't use my front room because of the noise.
There is a bit of a draught coming from the middle and bottom of the door on the side it closes.
Does anyone have any ideas really don't want to rip off a new door, but with the way it's going I can't see any other solution.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Silly question .... are you pulling the handle up to engage the multipoint lock? Compression isn't achieved until the door lock is fully engaged , as its only closed on the centre latch, the top and bottom can still be moved.

Hi yes I pull the handle up when I lock the door.

Ok, I'm going to guess that the installer/fitter has adjusted compression on the door ( usaually on the hinges , or the lockplate ) , without knowing what type of hinges are fitted I can't answer if they are even adjustable compression wise . Another thing to look at is actually the sealant around the outside of the door . It may be that there a small slither ' flapping ' and resonating in the wind, when you open the door the level of ambient noise and change of airflow may well be masking the resonation

Sponsored Links
Forgot to say the door fitter put more sealant round the door when he came back.

May still be sealant if he didn't clean the old sealant out, seen it a few times that the new sealant is just over the old sealant but not actually stopping the sealant from ' flapping '
Another test is to get a piece of paper and see if you can slide it between the door sash and the door seal on the frame when the door is closed and the handle pulled up
Can you get a picture of the door hinges , with the door closed, and also where they attach to the door frame in the rebate..I may be able to tell if there is any compression adjustment

I don't have anywhere to store pics so had to make a boring video.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure those hinges don't have any compression adjustment , they have adjustment for how level it sits but not compression. The door lock ' keeps' do have adjustment BUT , i wouldn't be adjusting them whilst its under warranty still. I would double check the actuial compression with a piece of paper as I suggested earlier, in theory it shouldn't easily slide in between the door and frame gasket ( it will with a good push as the rubber gasket will give , but the under a normal amount of force it shouldn't ) . If compression is good then I'd definetly be looking at the sealant ... even inside if necessary

The new door frame is smaller than the old one. Would putting pvc stripes round the edge of the frame help? I've taken the wall paper off and notice little gaps in the seal round the door. But I'm almost certain the sound is coming from inside the frame so I think the door fitter is going to say the issue is with my brick work so can't fix it.

Sounds a bit odd! can you take a picture of the door as a whole from the outside.

door.jpg

Someone has suggested because of the draft that is coming from where the handle is, the issue could be I have not got enough of the things that sick out at the side when you lift the handle.? My minds gone blank and can't remember what they are called.:cry:

Your door has the deadlock in the middle and upper/lower hooks. Some mechanisms have another hook (or roller) half way between the deadlock and the upper/lower hooks. Because yours doesn't have this, the person you've spoken to is suggesting the door maybe isn't sealing properly with the frame gasket at those areas. Tip. Go outside and shut the door. Whilst watching where the door meets the frame gasket (rubber seal) slowly lift the handle to engage the locking mechanism. You'll see the door pull in to the frame. Pay particular attention to the areas roughly 1/3 way up and down from the handle (the bits that don't have hooks) to see if the gap is fully sealed from top to bottom. If there are gaps, you'll have a degree of adjustment in the door frame (where the hooks engage with the frame) to draw them in a bit more. However that won't necessarily solve your problem if the gaps are at the areas without hooks or rollers.

Also try doing the following from inside, with your ear up against the door edge. Close the door and then lift the handle. You should hear the noise change from 'airy' to 'sealed' once the handle's fully lifted up. If you still don't get that 'sealed' sound, then there's likely a gap somewhere that needs addressed.

If the door and frame have been installed correctly, another solution might be a slightly thicker frame gasket to create a better seal however this shouldn't be required on a new door if everything's in order installation wise. The reason I mention this is my mate had a upvc door installed x years back and the frame was ever so slightly out near the handle area. This had been caused by insufficient packing and when the frame was screwed in, it pulled that area ever so slightly out of true. Also, if there are actual gaps between the frame and the building, it would do no harm to seal those with appropriate filler/sealant. That might be the problem ... the door might be fine!

Hope this helps at least a bit!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back