Composite Fence Posts to Replace Wooden Fence Posts...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

My fence has seen better days... in particular the fence posts seem to be the main problem... rotting from the top.

They are set in concrete.

Would it be possible to remove these and put composite ones in their place and screw normal wood into / onto the composite... the composite posts would be behind and therefore not visible when in the garden and do not back onto a neighbour.

Purely doing this from a perspective that current posts need replaced and to minimise future issues.

I had initially intended to put zinc caps on each of the posts and never got round to it.

Kind regards, Gordon

Sponsored Links
Composites are surprisingly expensive.

I have been very pleased with concrete spurs.

If you like, you can use masonry paint to blend them in with the fence.

Composites are surprisingly expensive.

I have been very pleased with concrete spurs.

If you like, you can use masonry paint to blend them in with the fence.

Hi John

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I can imagine they are more expensive although way I see it should improve longevity of the fence.

Can you provide an example of a concrete spur?

How would a concrete spur tie in with a wooden fence in term of securing the wood to the concrete?

I have attached some images of my fence and the problem I am facing.

Kind regards, Gordon

Attachments

• My Fence 001.JPG
    My Fence 001.JPG
    331.3 KB · Views: 34
  • My Fence 002.JPG
    My Fence 002.JPG
    341.4 KB · Views: 39
  • My Fence 003.JPG
    My Fence 003.JPG
    368.7 KB · Views: 38
Sponsored Links
The concrete spurs are set in concrete in the ground. Wooden posts are bolted to them (now with stainless bolts and nuts as the posts have outlasted steel).

I may have some photos but they are not very good. I have also used them for a post and rail fence (shown) and also for the posts of a shed.

View media item 978
View media item 979
20220711_191509.jpg

20220711_191459.jpg

No, that one's actually a socket bolted to a concrete pad. The spur is the one to the right of it. You can't see the post because the internal skin of the shed is screwed to it. The fenceposts were in place before building the shed.

The pad is suitable for a vertical dead weight such as a shed, but the spur is much stronger with the sideways load of a fence being blown in the wind

Last edited:
No, that ones actually a socket bolted to a concrete pad. The spur is the one to the right of it. You can't see the post because the internal skin of the shed is screwed to it. The fenceposts were in place before building the shed.
Thanks for the clarification.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back