compression end caps - problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just installed a tap outside for a hose. Bought a outdoor tap kit and cracked on. Everthing went well at start, managed to put on the connector on the plumbing under the sink.

Where I choose to put the tap under the sink was after the water shut off tap, which makes a lot of sense incase anything bad was to happen. Everything okay so far,, However I did notice that the new plumbing has avoided the shut of tap for the water, bit of a worry... Anywho.. I cant switch on the tap and get the water outside as at the end of the plumbing section is a elbow joint with no cap on it.... I went to b&q and they had two sizes of cap one at 15mm and the other at 22mm. Looks like a standard fitting.. Bought the 22mm compression cap, however Im having trouble with it. It will not screw on and the rubber cap inside is not helping. I have an ajustable wrench that fitts the capp but im not getting anywhere. Is there an easy suggestion out there,, I cant solder and dont have access to soldering equipment so thats out the window..

Please help, many thanks in advance.
Stuart

Sponsored Links
A picture speaks a thousand words - can you post a photograph or two?

is a bit confusing
hummm.gif

Sponsored Links
Best bet is probably to dismantle the 1/2 inch compression joint, one back from the elbow. A 22mm nut will not fit on a 3/4 inch thread. 15mm and 1/2 inch are usually compatible, and you should be able to use an ordinary 15mm compression stop end. Note that what you have at the moment is not a stop end but a blanking nut.

By the way, to do a proper job you will need two adjustable spanners.

Do I dismantle the compression joint after the place where I put in the outdoor tap insert? - as per picture
What do I put on the pipe after I have taken of this joint??

Many thanks

oops, didn't notice that it was attached :oops:

In that case cut the pipe between the outdoor draw-off and the elbow, then use a 15mm stop-end.

Thanks

So I should cut off the end elbow joint
then put a stop end on (15mm), problem with this is I dont know what a stop end looks like and I didnt see any at B&Q. Could you show me a picture

Do I need any special tools apart from ajustable spanners?
Thanks
Stu

Thanks guys

just to clarify
I cut off the elbow
I then place the stop end on, then tighten the cap and the other bit to the pipe with a couple of spanners.
Jobs a good un??

Thanks
Stu

That's right, screwing the two parts together deforms a compression ring (olive) which grips the pipe. They shouldn't be overtightened, and if it should leak despite being nipped up a bit tighter, you may need a bit of jointing compound or ptfe tape around the olive.

First attempt went wrong.. I cut the pipe, it was round or straight - used a pipe cutter. I put the ptfe tape on and then the bolt and olive, tightened it up, didnt go too tight, but it still leaked. So I guess I need a few more olives,, however should I have the pipe, really smooth and not edgy?

cheers
Stu

If you used a pipe cutter, the pipe should be smooth enough.

The ptfe tape goes on the olive, not the pipe ;)

Loosen the nut off, wrap some tape on the olive, put the nut back on and tighten it up.

All should be fine :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back