compression female connectors with no washers on kitchen tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen tap was connected to fittings that look like the attached picture. There was a lot of what looked like PTFE tape on the tap's threads, but no washer at the bottom of the threads / in the fitting. What is the correct way to fit this type of connector?

Attachments

• Web capture_19-12-2023_231022_www.toolstation.com.jpeg
    Web capture_19-12-2023_231022_www.toolstation.com.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 20
Sponsored Links
That has a parallel thread so designed to seal against a flat face, Use of tape is a bodge, there should be a fibre washer.

That has a parallel thread so designed to seal against a flat face, Use of tape is a bodge, there should be a fibre washer.
My fittings have nuts with flat faces, that picture is just the most similar-looking thing I could find online. How can you tell if a fitting has non-parallel thread, is it obvious?

Sponsored Links
The fitting was parallel threaded. The threads are internal and there are only 10mm of them, I used calipers to check. They looked like they had a seat for a washer, I read that non-parallel threaded fittings won't always include that. I also read that there aren't any non-parallel threaded female brass fittings? Anyway, PTFE had worked for many years, but I'll go for fibre washers as well. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sometimes with these fittings regardless of the thread type, the male fitting doesn't reach all the way to the bottom, therefore using a washer doesn't always work. Regardless of the thread type, I always use some Gas PTFE tape, hasn't failed me yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back