Mixer tap female bsp stupid question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for the stupid question.

Have a new basin mixer tap, it's inputs and output are 1/2" female bsp.

If I use half a compression fitting, there'll be no olive to make a seal.

If I think about flexi tap tails, these have a rubber washer to seat it. A washer won't seat in here. I guess I could find a rubber washer that'll fit round the compression fitting but smells wrong.

While I am sure a smear of jointing compound or a load of ptfe tape around the threads will probably seal it, I was taught this is also wrong as the olive makes the seal.

So how do the professionals connect these up? What am I missing?

(Pic shows tap input on left, 1/2 compression on right)

20220102_184749.jpg

Sponsored Links
Bonus question:

Can anyone link to a suitable washer? The ones on screwfix are outer diameter.
I need one with an inner diameter of 1/2" bsp

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Your picture is a very odd looking inlet for a basin mixer tap ,can you show us more of the tap ?

Bizarrely your tap 'inlet' has an arrow pointing OUT of it.
You're correct about olives, but the tap will have a 1/2" parallel female thread. A male parallel threaded fitting will have a flange to limit its insertion depth. It is quite right and proper to seal these with PTFE thread tape (for threads!!), or a liquid sealant (often called liquid PTFE).
If the bottom of the female thread is flat then a 1/2" fibre washer may be all that's needed, as long as the male thread is long enough! These are usually about 1mm thick.

Your picture is a very odd looking inlet for a basin mixer tap ,can you show us more of the tap
I'll snap one tomorrow but it's a concealed mixer to go behind tiles - just the knob and spout are visible. It's like a brass oblong.
Bizarrely your tap 'inlet' has an arrow pointing OUT of it.
My bad, that's the outlet however the same form as the inlet.
ID needs to be 21-21.5mm. You can measure the tap to find the OD.
Any idea where I can get these by inner diameter? Can only find outer diameter ones

I'll snap one tomorrow but it's a concealed mixer to go behind tiles - just the knob and spout are visible. It's like a brass oblong.

Ah ,gotcha !
You don't really need a washer ,just PTFE tape and a smear of LSX

Any idea where I can get these by inner diameter? Can only find outer diameter ones
Same place where you buy the fittings, I'd assume. If they don't have them, I'm sure you can get packs of assorted washers, from plumbers' merchants, or even Halfords.

TBH a washer for that job is not something anyone actually supplies. In all the time, any connection like that would be made watertight by using PTFE tape/cord/paste etc.

Invariably the female end can be too deep for the male fitting to reach all the way to the bottom properly that or there isn't a suitably cut flat mating face in there either, especially with mixers. Female couplers/wall plates are usually the only suitable fittings for washers, can you show us what it looks like inside the female fitting?

TBH a washer for that job is not something anyone actually supplies. In all the time, any connection like that would be made watertight by using PTFE tape/cord/paste etc.

Invariably the female end can be too deep for the male fitting to reach all the way to the bottom properly that or there isn't a suitably cut flat mating face in there either, especially with mixers. Female couplers/wall plates are usually the only suitable fittings for washers, can you show us what it looks like inside the female fitting?
From the pic it looks like a nice recess for a washer, but if he can't get one the right size, tape etc.
Also with a washer there, the water is in the thread, with a chance of build-up making future dismantling a problem. Tape seals most of the thread.

Cant see the inside/bottom of the tapping so don't really have any idea what the washer would be sitting on or how deep it is? Or is there a pic I can't see? :confused:
As I understand it Madrab,the OP is considering fitting a washer on the external face of the mixer ,under the flanged collar of the fitting ( linked by flameport),not the inside of the fitting .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back