Compression joints weeping but not obvious why

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I am reasonably competent (but have never soldered). If the two joints in question were accessible I would merely replace. Boring details at the end.
I darent tighten any further but both are leaking about a pint a week which is tolerable to empty a container every week. I have tried different tapes on the market but accessibility prevents getting a tight wraparound.
Is there a solution or compound hat I could 'paint' over joint which would improve barrier? I do know this is not ideal, but pragmatic.
Here are the boring details
One is underneath plastic pipe into small service tap which feeds shower - hot. Have checked olive by the way. Intact and no debris apparent.
Second is behind a tall kitchen cupboard and is near main stopcock. It is stopper which effectively changes a soldered T junction to an L bend. I darent tighten or even untighten again because I risk damaging soldered joints nearby ( which I imagine have certain limits before they crack.
Apologies to anyone who is offended by my suggested solution to my own problems!.
The main issue really is accessibility.
When I designed kitchen I obviously left stopcock in reach which it is. Originally the T junction went to the bathroom next door. Then when I redid bathroom I had to redo supply hence the stoper. Boring reason involves fitting a pressure reducing valve elsewhere because of shower mixer. Both joints were originally fone. I test things by wrapping them in tissue for a day. That way I know my joints are fine initially.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Leave it leaking or get someone that knows how to tighten a compression correctly.

Great answer!
Could I benefit from your expertise....
What might I have done incorrectly?
I know that one common fault is over tightening
Are there any other common faults.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks 75pete
A practical suggestion
...love looked up the product and it is used on thread while assembling..
Does anything exist that can be painted over. As I said I darent unscrew one awkward joint because of damage I could cause nearby.

Last edited:
Damage won't be caused to any other joints as you should be holding against while loosening and tightening.

Reason it is weeping is not easy to say on here but could be due to pipework not being straight and under pressure, not tightened properly in the first place, no jointing compound used.

Best to take out and remake.

As for a compound that you can just paint on then no.

If it's potable water then you need Fernox Hawk or similar.

If it's only weeping slightly then try tightening up just a tiny bit more.

You need to undo the joints and wrap a few rounds of ptfe tape round the olive and then retighten.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back