Compression Tee to Garden tap washers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm need washers for a wall mounted compression Tee (Female - Brass) to garden tap connection. Taps were bought at Screwfix. If I screw the tap on fully it ends up at an odd angle and leaks a little bit, straighten it and it leaks a lot more. Why on earth the tight b@st@rds didn't throw in some rubber washers is beyond me.
So now I've got to hunt around. Estimate I'd need 2-3 washers per tap to allow proper alignment and it be water tight. Any idea what I should ask for?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Aren't there supposed to be washers for this sort of thing.

I did try PTFE on one of the taps and because it's ½" BSP I used copious amounts but it still leaked a little, may have stopped now. But don't really want to be putting that much PTFE when a rubber washer is the ideal solution.

Not heard of Loctite 55 but may have to use that if I can't get a suitable washer.

Why on earth the tight b@st@rds didn't throw in some rubber washers is beyond me
For that exact reason, never can tell how many washers would be needed to get every make of tap to align properly. If they supplied it with the fitting then sell a million fittings then that's thousands of pounds in washers. It's all about money after all.

Gas PTFE tape, 5/6 wraps and then tighten tap 3/4's into the fitting - to the correct orientation

Aren't there supposed to be washers for this sort of thing.

No, not for a situation like that. Washers aren't used for threads in to female fittings.

But don't really want to be putting that much PTFE when a rubber washer is the ideal solution.

That's what ptfe (or loctite) is for!
A rubber washer is not the ideal solution because a back plate elbow or bent iron can be piped up from any 360° orientation, meaning a fully wound in bib tap (or other bent iron) can also end up pointing at any degree of the 360! The jointing medium allows that thread grounding to be adjusted to suit the purpose in hand.

Not heard of Loctite 55 but may have to use that if I can't get a suitable washer.

It allows you to wind tight and even back-off a little and still remains water-tight.

71yJv2sBcPL._SL1500_.jpg

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Loctite 55 it is then, seems good stuff from all reports.

Thanks muchly :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back