Outside tap union used inside house

iep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a tricky install to do in my bathroom where I have a couple of tap isolation valves that required a female 1/2" BSP union to screw into (female 1/2" BSP union needs to be set inside wall).

The tap isolation valve does not have enough thread to make it through the wall (12.5mm board plus 10mm tiles and tile adhesive) into a standard tap elbow backplate so I am looking for alternative solutions.

Found this at screwfix:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hose-union-back-plate/56415

Looks ideal. Easy to solder onto the 15mm pipe and easy to mount the flange on the inside of the wall (I have easy access to that side). Plus, female union extends 25mm beyond the flange so is perfect to screw into from the tiles side of the wall.

Sorted right? Bought a couple from screwfix and they are covered in warning stickers that say they are for external/garden use only.

'For Garden Use Only'

'This product is designed for use with hose union bibcocks only'

Could this just be some British Standards thing or can anyone think of a practical reason whyt this approach is not advisable?

Thanks,

iep

Sponsored Links
Fill yer boots.

Not literally.

There might be other ways of getting to the result you want
but no reason not to use these.

Perhaps the warning stickers are because they are not type tested/approved for gas

If you can get it to seal up without leaking then no reason not to use it IMO.

It may be it hasn't been tested internally so they're covering their ass, lead solder used (tho unlikely), etc. If you're really worried, contact them and ask.

Sponsored Links
Lead solder therefore not usable in your situation
The ones I have used had the tube Brazed into the brass.
If it was lead soldered then it could not be used for an outside tap. It is still a potable water supply!!

If it is just the lead then surely I don't care? This would be for a bathroom sink, shower and toilet. In theory potable but in practice used for no more than brushing your teeth (the sink, not the toilet).

These do look like they are lead solder though. Grey metal in union between the copper and brass. I guess I could try to find a brazed one instead if I wanted to be super sure.

BTW, is the solder in pre-soldered joints lead free now (sorry if this is a daft question)? Presumably, all the existing (30 years old) copper pipe in the house will be lead soldered? In which case I can't see one more joint tipping us into lead poisoning.

Cheers,

iep

Depends if it was manufactured in China or not, who knows what goes on over there :p

That's why I said (tho unlikely), was just trying to think of reasons why they may say it shouldn't be used inside.

Maybe just because the holes might be countersunk on the wrong side :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back