Compulsory smart meter!

Sponsored Links
No one mentioned banning anyone.

I fail to see why corrections are so terrible especially in the case of someone who should know better.

As for you big-all, would you care to tell us why you spell 'if' with two fs on purpose after being corrected years ago.

I was taught that if you can count them, it's "fewer". ...
... so was I, but ....
But lots of folk use "less". I've even heard it on the Beeb....
.... as I wrote to EFLI, it's a 'mistake' (if that's what it is) that I,along with millions of others frequently make. However, having just sked Mr Google,I see that the matter is somewhat controversial, and I also found a few 'authorities' using words to describe 'people who fuss about the difference' which might upset or annoy EFLI ;)

In fact, some of what I've found may shoot EFLI's arguments in their foot, since one of the things I fund was ...
Less has historically been used in English with countable nouns, but a distinction between the use of fewer and less is first recorded in the 18th century.
... and he seems to feel that 'correct' use of words is 'like wot was correct in the past :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Photo 07-10-2016 18 59 54.jpg

The less/fewer debate has been around for years. It's 'you should of/could of' instead of 'should have etc.' which is, if anything, more common. I think that this one is hardly noticed in speech but it stands out when written.

All that was needed was "Yes, sorry. My mistake".
As I wrote, if one takes your view that 'correct use of words' today means 'what used go be correct', then there presumably was no mistake to apologise about? ...
Less has historically been used in English with countable nouns, but a distinction between the use of fewer and less is first recorded in the 18th century.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back