Computer Screen.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
Not sure whether I am in right place for some one to help me?
In a nut shell, I am 73 years old and fast losing my sight. I may be okay for a couple of hours and can just about see the writing on the screen, then my sight goes and I am buggered and have to go and sit in the dark.
I know very little about computers, but have found that I can increase the print size by control and plus, how ever by doing this I can only get part of the window into my viewing screen.
In old money my present viewing size on screen is 16 ins by 10ins. If, I was to buy a bigger screen, do you feel that this would help me, and to what size screen can I go and what would be the approx cost?
The white background glare on the screen seems to start ny eyes bleeding, and have found some buttons on the bottom of the screen that say standard mode, theatre mode, etc, but as I do not understand them I am frightened to play around with them.
I am very sorry to trouble you good people with my problems, but would really appreciate any help that any one could please give me.
Thank you so very much.
old un

Sponsored Links
Where i used to work, we had a partialy sighted girl in the office. She had a special screen to enable her to read the invoices, but unfortunately i don't know where it came from But they do exist. Maybe someone else knows.

My mouse, has a magnifier on it, I dont like but it may help..Lot cheaper than new screen

Sponsored Links
Windows ships with a built in magnifier for visually impaired users.

A larger screen may help you; why not spend some time with the magnifier, see how that goes, and maybe you won't need to spend money on a new screen?

A larger screen set with a resolution that works for you may help too. YOu could always nip down to PC World, or somewhere with a lot of demo screens are set up that you can try. Just don't let the buggers sell you anything in a hurry :)

Hope this helps....

The Accessibility Wizard
If you prefer the wizard interface to enable features, open the Accessibility Wizard.

To open the Accessibility Wizard, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to Accessibility, and then click Accessibility Wizard.
2. When the wizard starts, click Next to start setting accessibility options.
3. Use the wizard options that apply to features for users with low vision. The following three options are displayed on the Text size options screen:
* Use usual size text for Windows: This option makes no changes to the standard Windows appearance scheme.
* Use large window titles and menus: This option is the same as selecting the High Contrast option in the Accessibility program in Control Panel.
* Use Microsoft Magnifier, and large titles and menus: This option turns on Magnifier.
4. Click Next after you make your selection. On the next screen, the options that are displayed depend on the choices that you selected in the previous screen.
5. Click Next to continue.

Note After you have completed the first part of the Accessibility Wizard and the Set Wizard Options section, completes the process to set the Accessibility Features.

To set wizard options, follow these steps:

1. For users with low vision, click the I am blind or have difficulty seeing things on screen option, and then click Next.
2. Select the scroll bar and window border size that is comfortable, and then click Next.
3. Select the icon size that is comfortable, and then click Next.
4. Select the high-contrast color scheme that is comfortable, and then click Next.
5. Select the size and color of the mouse cursor that is comfortable, and then click Next.
6. Adjust the cursor blink rate and size that is comfortable, and then click Next.
7. Click Finish to apply your settings.

Back