Concealed Cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help.......

I have just had a new toilet with a concealed cistern installed, however although there seems to be plenty of water when flushed the toilet paper stays in the pan. It does go after several flushes, but it's annoying as my other 'old' toilet worked well. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
I will ask my plumber to check, however I am not so sure I get your american sense of humor re second comment. Don't reply if you don't care..................

Sponsored Links
As he has been in the UK for 99% of his life I doubt he has developed an Americal sense of humour.

One of my ( English ) neighbours used to write gags for the old US commedians. I never found them very funny.

Current WCs are only allowed to flush with 6 li of water. To counter that they have a narrower throat so the velocity is similar.

Old flush volumes were between 7-9 li.

Its possible a diffferent make of toilet paper would stick less.

We have tried so many but the clear winner is one from Lidle ( however they are spelt! ) with small flowers but thats from the perspective of the user as we still have a 7 li flush.

Tony

Thanks for the explanation.

We have tried various sorts of toilet paper as our plumber suggested, but it's made no difference. I guess we may just have to live with it............ if the other suggestion doesn't work.

Like Agile says new toilets have a smaller volume of flush so to be more efficient,

However your ball valve may be adjustable as to allow more volume, if you cistern stops filling when only half full, you may be able to adjust it to fill to 2/3 or3/4,

If you want to post a pic of your ball valve then i can tell you if and/or how to adjust it...

As his plumber has already been discussing the problem I am sure he has already made sure its full to the required point.

Although I only normally work on boilers, I have heard so many complaints about flushing from new toilets that I would now be very reluctant to fit one for anyone unless it was totally clear that they understood the implications.

I fitted one provided by this old chap a long time ago and the implication was the poor flush was my fault. They made me wait for an hour before finally paying me while they argued with each other in yiddish. They only seemed to pay me because I told them that if they were not happy they could complain to the manufacturer.

Tony

Fix it by raising the cistern, this gives more of a powerfull flush, the reverse of my original problem. I had a concealed cistern & fitted it at the height limit of the curved pipe & when it flushed it spilled over the bowl. Lowered it a couple of inches & it flushes perfectly. You will probably need a new pipe if there is not enough to raise it

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will discuss them with my plumber when he returns tomorrow.

Unfortunately the toilet is not a recognised brand and was purchased from B&Q, which seems to be yet another problem.............

Hi
Thanks to all of you who have offered suggestions to fix my cistern problem, however when I discussed these with my plumber he informs me that he has already set the ball valve at the highest level and the cistern is already located at the highest level it can be. He is not too sure what is meant by checking the drain/pan connector so any further detail you can give on this would be appreciated. Likewise any other possible solutions.

He means check the pan connector to make sure it's not blocked, or any part of the soil pipe thereafter.

Try poking something down there first like a straightend out wire coat hanger, if it doesnt free anything up you may have to pull the wc away from the wall, and check the pan connector behind that.

Once i got called to a newly built house where the lady's toilet wasnt flushing properly. Since I didn't have anything I had to ask if I could have one of her coat hangers. That didn't shift anything so after pulling the pan away from the wall I found that the soil stack was running uphill and all shades of sh*t came back out all over the floor.

So wear gloves and an old pair of shoes :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back