Concerns over socket installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be extremely grateful if anyone could enlighten me as to the legallity of running a 1" galvanised conduit pipe across a warehouse floor, where people need to walk. We have had lots of people trip over it, so far. in addition to this, they installed a double plug socket proud of the floor on the end of it. I thought that floor mounted sockets had to be flush, and any cabling needs to be run through a conuit underneath the floor. the floor is concrete, and the warehouse uses forklift trucks if that makes any difference. The wiring is run to a JB on the wall nearest it.

Any feedback on this would be gratefully recieved, as it is only a matter of time before someone seriously injures themself. I tried to get hold of the IEE wiring standards, but the buggers wanted me to pay for it!!!

thanks a lot, Phil

Sponsored Links
the thing is obviously a danger and would be a danger whatever was running through it or even if it wass an empty pipe

therefore i don't see how the wiring regs have anything to do with this contact you boss first if they don't respond contact thier boss and so on

if noone in your company gets it dealt with then you need to contact those who regulate health and safety in the workplace (i think is is the HSE but im not sure)

It's a work place trip hazard & needs to be addressed. H&S at work

Sponsored Links
Diyisfun said:
It's a work place trip hazard & needs to be addressed. H&S at work

Totaly agree.

The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 (HSWA) requires employers to ensure the health and safety of all employees and anyone who may be affected by their work. This includes taking steps to control slip and trip risks. The HSWA also places a responsibility on employees not to endanger themselves or others and to use any safety equipment provided.

The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1992
These build on the HSWA and include duties on employers to assess risks (including slip and trip risks) and where necessary take action to safeguard health and safety.

The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992
Require floors at the workplace to be suitable, in good condition and free from obstructions. People must be able to move around safely.

Thanks for the help, I'll get on to the proper channels and sort it out. As for the comment breezer made, I do not have the time, nor the luxury of seeking legal advice over a poor job, that could potentially cause one of my mates to get injured tommorow. So I apologise for not holding forum etiquete as close to my heart as you so obviously do. ;)

Thanks for the advice guys.

you obviously rad item 9, but did not understand it.

you do not need to come onto a forum to know that putting a conduit across a "walkway" in such a manner to cause an obstruction / tripping hazzard is wrong, common sense tells you that

you are then told about the hse aspect of it which is technically legal advise.
Common sense tells you it is not correctly positioned, not the i.e.e wiring regulations (as plugwash, mentioned)

as for your own comment
I'll get on to the proper channels and sort it out
why did you not do that in the first place? you obviously do not have a clue about anything, i am sorry, that you may find that comment offensive, but as i previously said, if you have to come onto a DIY forum to ask advice regarding work it shows what little you know /confidence you have.

May i suggest that you ask your employer that you are put onto a health and saftey course.

I will also mention this one thing.

It is obvious that you knew about the conduit, since you posted on here about it. I bet you didnt know that you can be sued if any one injurs themselves, since you admit to knowinng about it, but yet up untill now have done nothing about it. so please dont come here asking for legal advice, and under health and saftey you do "have the time, the luxury of seeking legal advice over a poor job"

Ouch! that shows me whats what. Didn't mean to upset you or anything, I'm only 16 and this is my first job. As for the Health and safety course, I've spoken to my boss and he's going to send a group of us on it. I won't bother posting on here again if this is how you treat newbies. I tried being polite and said please and thank you...

Obviously, not.

Breezer, that's your second ratty post in a week. Everything OK?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back