Concorde boiler direct replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm new and looking for help please.

I moved into my house just over a year ago and have been told yesterday that the old-looking Concorde WRS boiler in my kitchen has a split in the heat something-or-other (Heat exchanger possibly but I'm working off the info the plumber gave to my missus, doh!).

Now then, I know this thing is old and was prepared at some point for it to give up or cause me some pain but so far it has been fine. The only reason this came about is that a Corgi chap fitted me a new gas hob and the boiler stopped working after he'd gone. I couldn't seem to re-fire the pilot light so the guy came back and got it going again this morning - and this was when he dropped his bombshell on my missus.

I recently installed a brand new and much bigger Telford copper cylinder to give me more hot water storage and would really like to simply replace the boiler, but don't know if this is possible. Which is why I'm here as you folks seem to have the knowledge. If not, would British Gas help me out of I sign up for Homecare?

I know it'll cost but I don't want my pants pulled down by some unscrupulous cowboy who has guessed my ignorance in this matter.

My overdraft is in your hands.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Changing the boiler to a modern condesing heat onl;y boiler should not be too much hurt for you - think lower fuel bills, and the pain will ease.

Plenty of advise and debate on here, but I think you'll find that the current boiler is gone; and I wouldn't hold the other guy to much in contempt - these things happens.

Avoid Homecare - with your boiler boiler you'll have awarranty anyway so its a waste of money.

Thanks for the quick response Dan,

Any advice on a suitable boiler or is it that a piece of string question?

Straight forward job, the only slight problems could be that new boilers need a switched live and permanent live, whilst some also need another wire because they control the pump. You wont have that many wires in the flex going to your boiler.

No one would offer you a service/repair contract on your existing boiler if that is what you meant and as good new boilers will come with at least a full 2 year warranty.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Dave,

All sounds pretty positive so far then. :D

What's the best plan of action then? Do I get 3 quotes in off reputable local folks, or would anyone here have further advice?

Also, I've probably misunderstood but as I've read other threads (all afternoon it's taken) I seem to get the impression that these new condensing boilers don't need a copper cylinder. Now have I got that a*se about face or will my fancy shiny new tank become redundant?

Dont worry about wiring as there is a number of boilers out there that fit onto wiring you have.. Gas4you vailants don`t though .

Sorry, one other thing.

I can probably get a boiler at cost (my brother in law owns a company manufacturing copper cylinders) so would a local chap be happy to install a boiler I have bought or would they insist on supplying it themselves?

I want this done cheap but equally I know the person who does it needs to make some money too.

Cheers.

You are thinking of a combi boiler. These heat the water as you turn the tap on.

You need a condensing heat only boiler, either open vent that will utilise your existing f&e tank in the loft, or a system boiler that is on a sealed system, best for longevity.

namsag, I thought most new boilers need at least permanent live and switched live :confused: Which ones don't?

bwfcspider said:
Sorry, one other thing.

I can probably get a boiler at cost (my brother in law owns a company manufacturing copper cylinders) so would a local chap be happy to install a boiler I have bought or would they insist on supplying it themselves?

I want this done cheap but equally I know the person who does it needs to make some money too.

Cheers.
Yes some installers will fit this for you, but would not warrant the boiler, just the installation and pipe work to it. If I do this then I tell the customer that if he needs me out before he puts in a warranty call he will have to pay my standard attendance fee. That is what my mark up on a boiler I supply covers.

You pays yer money and takes yer choice ;)

G4Y ... Ideal classic range , Baxi solo range and a few others.. think i will put your name long hand in future gas4you as the shorthand makes you look GAY. :eek: :LOL:

namsag said:
G4Y ... Ideal classic range , Baxi solo range and a few others.. think i will put your name long hand in future gas4you as the shorthand makes you look GAY. :eek: :LOL:

Don't worry about that dear :eek:

Forgot about the classic, but all the solos I used to fit need extra wire to control the pump.

Is this still the case with the classic HE?

So from what I can tell sticking with Ideal would make the job easiest in terms of wiring and install?

Admitedly, much of the technical stuff is going right over my head.

bwfcspider said:
So from what I can tell sticking with Ideal would make the job easiest in terms of wiring and install?

Admitedly, much of the technical stuff is going right over my head.

What ever you do DO NOT fit any Ideal boiler at the moment. Put up with the very slight extra inconvenience and fit a decent one. Vaillant, Worcester Bosch or veissmann

Latest solo HE (non system) come with a 3 core flying lead. done one last week. And classic/optia HE are still 3 core done one 3 weeks ago.

eDIT
spider go with an ideal classic one of best and most reliable boilers made. It comes cheaper under the optia badge from plumbcentre.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back