Concrete amount??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
good evening all,

I know this is a proper basic question but I can't seem to find a decent calculator online. Im quite handy with most job but I have never messed with concrete so looking for some help. I have an 8ft x 10ft shed which I want to make a concrete floor for. I'm happy building the timber frame (although unsure what is the best wood) to pour the concrete in but how much do I need to order of rough sand, cement and aggregate? I'll probably do the frame 10x12.(1 foot extra all the way round for the wife to decorate with plants) and around 4 inches deep.

Regards

Sponsored Links
Good morning Andy,

It came up at 1.13m3, doesn't sound a lot. What do you think? Also it doesn't say how big of a bag indeed of each.

Sorry for the questions but like I said, I'm completely new to laying concrete!!

Regards

You will need two tonne bags of ballast and 13 x 25kg bags of cement for a 100mm thick base of that size.

Sponsored Links
Noseall,

That's great, thanks. But....what's ballast? Lol Is that sand and aggregate mixed?

What mixing ratio do you recommend? I was thinking 4 to 1 but once again, not really sure.

Is 4 inches deemed to be the standard for a timber shed base of the OP's size?

Is it a good idea to add reinforcement mesh atall???

On Amazing Spaces I saw a guy place his posts in buckets of cement instead of a slab, the buckets being in the ground. I think he used six in all. Thought it was a clever solution, anyone done that???

Foot,

Is that bucket thing on the Internet to have a look at? I was just in the garden planning the frame work to pour into. I'm open for any other ideas.

Do I use this with just cement? 6:1 ratio. Do I need pva or plastasiser like when you build a wall?
image.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back