Concrete base for a concrete garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am required a 4 inch deep concrete base before i can have a concrete garage erected. I have a tarmac driveway which is reasonably level and i was wondering it i could put a concrete base directly on top of the tarmac?

I was thinking of placing the correct size shuttering directly on top of the tarmac making sure its level and square. Then put some sand down inside the shuttering followed by a sheet of polythene followed by the concrete, leveling off and tampering down.

Would this be ok?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Most likely not, You'd be best diigging tarmac up, laying about 100-150mm of wackered hardcore, DP Membrane, insulation if needed, another DPM above the insulation, then a wet pour of again 100-150mm concrete with reinforced steel placed mid-way in the pour.
I assume it's a brick/block build.

Thanks for the replies. No its not a brick block/build its one of those pre-cast ones so there is not much weight in the structure.

Sponsored Links
I'd still dig the tarmac up and make a sound sub-base, doesn't need to be quite as big as the above reply I made.
but wack some hardcore down, DPM and about 100mm of concrete pour, if you have the base raised a bit should prevent water running in.

Tarmac is not an inert product it gives off gases that could be detrimental to the structure.

Other things to avoid are sulphates as these attack the concrete.

Dig up the tar and use mot type 1.

Stop being stingy.

Not much weight ? You're joking right,those concrete sections are heavy as f**k !
You need a proper slab laying.....not like the botch job I had done.
Get it hard cored and make sure they use mesh in the concrete

Take up the tarmac and see. There should be a hardcore base underneath already, so you may be able to lay the concrete on top of the existing sub base.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back