Concrete base for summer house

Post Crete would be fine and u need dpm to separate the concrete from the wood, weed membrane won't do that, dpm is cheap from Screwfix.

Sponsored Links
I would say on a floating setup DPM probably isn't needed but is so cheap you may as well in any case.

I only use the dpm between the timber and concrete because if the ground gets extremely wet as it did a few months ago, the concrete post will make the timber damp and so the timber above the frame will get damp too, for the price of a 100mm roll it's not worth not using,

I only use the dpm between the timber and concrete because if the ground gets extremely wet as it did a few months ago, the concrete post will make the timber damp and so the timber above the frame will get damp too, for the price of a 100mm roll it's not worth not using,
I'll get my mate to go with your idea. I guess these dekpost don't go the two feet in the ground like fencing posts should and usually used for decking.

My friends end of garden is really wild and rough with long grass so I guess dig out and level the soil underneath as best I can with a rake.

I'll see if anyone online is selling them too as Wickes dont seem to have them.

Screenshot_20200410-093933_Chrome.jpg

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately there are not many places online that sell them, because of the weight, I've been lucky I live in Surrey and have a company called Fairalls that stock them, I use the 450mm ones under decking due to the non rotting factor, I'm not saying there the best option but I've used them on decks and on my large summerhouse and now shed base, the summerhouse has been there for two years with no problems, good luck if you need any further information let me know, thanks Paul

For the sake of it if use the posts but the blocks are ok except your wasting your time using postcrete, the block wouldn't be in the ground.

If the ground is firm these avoid a lot of digging which is neat. I think most would be surprised how much load they can bear without sinking.

If the ground is firm these avoid a lot of digging which is neat. I think most would be surprised how much load they can bear without sinking.

The ground isn't really firm but we'll put down hardcore and cement the bases in. My friend seems keener on the blocks than the posts.

The thing I hear repeated over and over is how important a level base is. Worth taking extra time over that part!

The thing I hear repeated over and over is how important a level base is. Worth taking extra time over that part!

I'll remember that.

These are the blocks in pictures. To prevent them sinking in the soft ground I thought we'd hammer hard core down with a sledgehammer then cement them to it
IMG-20200502-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20200502-WA0005.jpg

From watching others do ours, and reading guides, I don't know concreting them in will be needed. If the ground is firm where are they going to go ;)

I'd be interested to see this progres if you don't mind.

From watching others do ours, and reading guides, I don't know concreting them in will be needed. If the ground is firm where are they going to go ;)

I'd be interested to see this progres if you don't mind.
I'll update u.

The ground is soft soil with lots of weeds hence putting down hardcore (not sure which grade of hardcore or depth) knocked down with sledge hammer then either two inches of postcrete or mortar.

Last edited:
Flippin' heck. It's not gonna be that complicated I hope. My mate's even more clueless than i am with this job.Those giant screws look good for future jobs.

I guess the key is get it level. I was gonna just use my four foot level and straightest bit of timber. Thinking about getting a laser level

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back