Concrete containing Asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I recently used a hard wire brush to clean the underside of a concrete slab. A 'lot' of dust was generated and I didn't use a mask. Using the amateur approach, I just held my breath.

Later that evening, I began to wonder if this concrete slab could have contained asbestos. I read a few articles and discovered that it is plausible that asbestos can be found in concrete.

The house was built in the 1960's and this concrete slab was previously part of the garage. This adjoining garage was then converted into usable space and is now an extension of the home. Actually, the concrete is now used as a shelf for shoes.

I've posted photos of the concrete and it was the rough underside that was cleaned with the wire brush. Can those with more expertise in this subject, please comment on the likelihood that I may have disturbed asbestos? Hopefully, all I inhaled was concrete dust.

Many thanks in advance.

Photo 1: The upper-side of the shelf.
IMG_6589.JPG

Photo 2: Close up of the upper side.
IMG_6591.JPG

Photo 3: The underside of the shelf #1 (The section that I cleaned using a wire brush) - Note that the flash makes it appear brighter than it is. (see next photo)
IMG_6593.JPG

Photo 4: The underside of the shelf #2 (The section that I cleaned using a wire brush)
IMG_6598.JPG

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It's not likely but it's too late now anyway.

You'll find out in around 30 years

Thank you for your opinion.

From what I've read, it implies that asbestos was more likely to be found in concrete (albeit still rare) when making lightweight slabs (e.g., rooftop). This concrete slab doesn't fall into that category.

Anyhow, more opinions are welcome.
Regards.

Sponsored Links
pcm77, good evening.

Possible confusion? Asbestos bound Cement board is common, used in roofs, Corrugated in nature, generally contains "White Asbestos" [try Googling this material]

As for Asbestos being incorporated into a Concrete slab, for me at least does not fit?? Concrete in slab form and Asbestos Sheet do not jell unless the Asbestos Sheet was used as a form of Shuttering and not removed?

Concrete is a mix of Sand, Chips and Cement, the possible combinations of three simple ingredients are verging on the endless, at no time does Asbestos feature in the "mix" it is not strong enough and provides no added value to Concrete.

As above Asbestos bound board has historically had a value.

Ken

Thank you both 'woody' and 'KenGMac', you've helped alleviate my concerns.

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm an amateur with regards to DIY and the risk of Asbestos. I've sure your opinion is more credible than mine, it’s just that I read the following article:
http://www.concreteconstruction.net/how-to/asbestos-and-old-concrete_o

This stated:

"Concrete precasters added asbestos to products to make them less permeable and less likely to crack. Asbestos was considered a good fiber reinforcement since it was inexpensive, readily available, and easily blended into the mix...... Spotting asbestos in concrete products can be difficult. Since the fibers were evenly distributed throughout the concrete mixture and are now set in the hardened matrix, they cannot be seen with the naked eye. "

I'm assuming that my concrete slab is a precaster. It was this article that was the source of my anxiety. I want to trust your opinion, but this article puts a niggling doubt in my mind.
Is this a misunderstanding on my part? Is this article not relevant or does it possibly hold some credibility?

Apologies if my email implies that I doubt your explanation. Due to my lack of experience, I'm asking if you can read the article and pass second judgement.

Thank you in advance!

What will you now do differently if the answer is "yes" vs. "no"?

Hello endecopt - If the answer was 'yes', since this concrete is exposed and now forms part of the home, I would consider having it removed. However, I expect this could be expensive.

Hello woody - Thanks again for your feedback. You're absolutely right, it is not a UK site and therefore doesn't apply to construction practice in the UK.

Upon closer research of the article, "Products mentioned are flat and corrugated sheets, pressure pipes, and fire-resistant boards". In addition, the case example is related to roofing.

I attach another picture which is the material that brushed off (which happened to be in my vacuum after the job). To my untrained eye, it looks benign.

My final query before I put this topic to bed. Would you be in agreement with this conclusion?

Kind regards and thanks again for your input.

IMG_6608.JPG

It looks to me like a simple concrete slab I have never heard of asbestos in concrete. Why would you use it? concrete is fire proof, incredibly hard and if you need more strength you just build in steel rods.
The confusion I suspect is where boards are constructed like AC (asbestos cement) like flue pipes and garage roofs, or AIB (asbestos insulation board) used as fireproofing in heater compartments and sometimes for house soffits.
Both are quite thin and brittle the fibres give what is in effect a thin sheet of cement some strength. They are not load bearing and not at all suitable for the construction you have there.

US sites will tell you asbestos was used in everything! When you delve deeper they are usually linked to personal injuries claim companies!

Thank you everyone for your comments.

footprints - Thank you for your recent answer.
woody - I take note of your comment for the future.

Thanks and have a nice day.

If you're really worried, get a DIY asbestos kit and send off a sample of that dust.

However, i think you're worrying over nothing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back