Concrete Delivery via access road has sewer below it ??

I

iDIY

Hi Guys,
My build site is located at the rear of the house but there is an access road that runs the full length at the rear of all the properties.
It is a well used dirt road dating back to when the houses were built in the 1930s but it has a 250mm sewer running the full length of the dirt road, right down the middle and 5ft below the surface.
What are your thoughts on a concrete mixer delivering along that road or should I go for one of the barrowing services ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
5 feet down, unless it was backfilled with concrete most of the load would spread to the sides by the time it got that far under ground.
My concern would be if the pipes already cracked, you might have to defend yourself if it gets discovered afterwards

5 feet down, unless it was backfilled with concrete most of the load would spread to the sides by the time it got that far under ground.
My concern would be if the pipes already cracked, you might have to defend yourself if it gets discovered afterwards

Very good point.

Quite often with these unmade access roads there can be problems over who owns what part of it etc. It will cost more but you will be a Good Neighbour if you don't allow a readymix lorry down the road ;)

There will be sewer pipe below all the roads the truck drives over on it's way to you. Are you not worried about them too?

Is it too far from the front of your house.

Concrete pumps go a fair distance.

Concrete lorries are heavy, 6 cube metre drum lorries are 26 tonnes full, volumetric vehicles upto 40 tonnes.

They might sink into a dirt road.

There will be sewer pipe below all the roads the truck drives over on it's way to you. Are you not worried about them too?

A: They are not my problem.
B: They tend to have tarmac over hardcore substrate to spread the load.
C: Clearly having a high message count doesn't indicate a helpful response.

I’d say drive over it. If it collapses, let the lorry owners insurance company worry about it!

I’d say drive over it. If it collapses, let the lorry owners insurance company worry about it!

Often find a clause in the contract with Readymix, and skip hire, that if you order the vehicle off the Public Highway, then you are responsible for any damage caused, and the cost of getting the vehicle back out if it gets stuck.

Used to have this argument with my gaffer when I drove a Cesspit tanker, people expected you to get into silly places to get to their tanks, yet it was our problem if we got stuck! Then he wondered why I refused to do the job.....

I do think the OP is right to be worried, I imagine the claims would be large if he knocked out the sewerage on a group of houses.

A friend of a friend was having an extension built and the lorry came along and backed into next door's drive by mistake and cracked it.

If it is any help I saw three guys barrow 10m of 600m by 300m strip foundations down a suburban drive to the back garden and it took them about 20 minutes.

I wouldn't take the risk myself if you can get the job done barrowing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back