Concrete drive to be above my existing DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my neighbour is planning to re due his drive which is currently 3 courses above my existing DPC, there is a gap of approx 150mm between his existing drive and my house its depth is just below my DPC. My neighbour would like to fill this gap when the new drive is layed so it looks nice and neat, and so I don't have to keep cleaning the 'gully' out. Is this ok to do as the concrete will be in direct contact with my brick work and also be 3 courses above my DPC ? I presume I could suffer with damp issues ? Or could the concrete be treated to stop any water rising through it ? Any advise ?

Sponsored Links
no decent driveway contractor should be doing that anyway. totally unacceptable

Sponsored Links
Hi

If you allow your neighbour to carry out the proposed works, damp penetration will be the least of your problems! It will be more like a river flowing into your house. As mentioned by Stuart5 the top surface of his existing driveway should be 150mm below the dpc of your house and as its not, although not ideal I assume that the existing gulley meets this requirement?

As previous notes - its a definite 'no' to your neighbours proposal.

Regards

It is possible to run paving material above the dpc and directly against a building provided you take precautions.

One such method is fitting a lead flashing at the abutment providing a 150mm lead upstand. This can be done retrospectively.

Also, we have in the past stepped up the dpc (externally) where ground levels rise and can not be lowered. This can only be done as an ongoing build.

If you don't like the look of a lead flashing then go for the recessed trough you already have but it will be a rubbish trap.

It looks like sound advice from noseall. It is important to protect your brickwork from damp above the DPC. It is often built weaker than below the DPC and can suffer all sorts of damage if not protected from damp. Even with noseall's suggestion, I'd still be worried about the drainage of your cavity - where will the water from your cavity tray go?

You mention that you have to clear out the gully. Is the gully on their land? If the gully is on your neighbour's land, it should be their responsibility to keep it clear. (If the gully is on your land, why is your neighbour wanting to put his drive on your property?)

Your neighbour should be notifying you in writing of this work as it probably falls under the Party Wall etc. Act 1996. This is as much for their protection as yours. If they don't then they might have unlimited liability for any damage caused to your property. As part of the notification, they should include a Structural Engineer's report on how the work should be done. If you are not happy, you have the right to appoint your own SE etc.

Take some photographs of your brickwork and internal walls now as evidence.

Thank you all for your responses, i am very greatful . I have spoken to my neighbour and i intend to dig my gully out to 2 coarses of bricks below the DPC and leave it exposed, which my neighbour is fine with.

Again thank you all for your help.

Wobbly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back