Concreting the side drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1930's semi.

I wish to concrete the drive at the side of the property (the gap between my and my neighbours property).

Think I have found the damp proof course, a layer of grey roof 'tile' just below the wall vents.

Following this line around to the side of the house, it appears that this DPC is 150-200mm above the present drive surface level.

The present level appears to consist of 20-30mm of soil and grass, underneath seems to be some sort of asphalt - it must be original, 50 years of moss and an unswept drive making for the grass covering.

I will lay concrete to 50mm with rebar, 5:1, it will just have foot traffic, and take the weight of a small car once in a blue moon.

I am not sure how permeable it is at present judging by the puddles, I understand 'front' drives need to be permeable, if required I plan to create a drain running down the centre that simply soaks away, with an over flow to an existing drain.

Am I ok to run the cement up to the existing walls, or should I step it back say 50mm and leave an air gap down to the original depth.

Attachments

• 08042018460.jpg
    08042018460.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 08042018463.jpg
    08042018463.jpg
    453.2 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
brush and shovel all the top stuff away until youve exposed the black stuff hard surface. seewhat condition is it in.
you can get metal mesh 100 x 100, 150 x 150 or 200mm x 200mm instead of rebar. but your 50mm concrete would be well too thin for me.
will your idea affec your neighbours wall in any way?

im not clear on what you mean with your drainage ideas and whats happening with the lower wall in the photo.

Thanks, today I dug down to see what's there, once the soft stuff was out the way (20-40mm) - the 'asphalt' type material then required a pick axe to get through, it was quite solid, I stopped at 150mm with more to go, so assume its 200mm min.
Guess your going to suggest 100mm min, with mesh, my 50mm assumed the asphalt layer to be quite a solid base.
I'm thinking of running one row of paving blocks along each edge next to our foundations, to make it look a bit prettier, with a drain on my side, with a should I shoulder that right against the foundation wall with mortar or leave an air gap, it will still be 50-100mm below DPC with 100mm.

Worked out the drainage - will take the outflow all the way along into the back garden, to simply soak away.

The 'lower wall' render has pulled away, looks like its quite old, it will be replaced.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back