Patch Repair Asphalt Drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an asphalt drive which was originally laid in 1968. Make up appears to be 6inch of hardcore, Then three inches of asphalt with large aggregate (circa 30mm) then a thin layer of asphalt with a high grip sand coating.

in areas this top cost has worn off revealing the layer under which all looks in good condition. Apart from that is one area of around 1m2 where the whole construction appears to have lifted slightly. Any thoughts on whether this area could be repaired without impacting on the rest of the drive?

the total drive area is around 120m2. Seems a waste to take up the entire drive and lay a new one for the sake of one small area. I would consider a new resin bound layer over the whole drive.

Sponsored Links
Should be possible, (with care) to remove the damaged wearing course where required, and overlay the existing base course (if as you say, it's sound), with a new wearing course. Highways spec with asphalt when I was doing repairs for the Council 20 years ago was to lay a 'Base course' of larger size aggregate, (usually 20mm stone), then a 'Wearing Course' on top. (We used 6mm for footpaths, 10mm for Roads.) For the life of me though, I cant remember the depths required.

Asphalt is easily patched, the main consideration is sealing the joints to prevent water penetration. Water in joints will quickly lead to frost damage in colder weather.

You can patch the holes, but I would not put a new resin drive over such an old surface as other parts will start to lift.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back