concrete driveway disaster -help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We employed a contractor to lay a patio and a concrete driveway. The patio was good but the driveway is a disaster. The concrete has been poorly laid, not tamped down properly is uneven and not finished well. There are holes and a honeycomb effect on part of it and part resembles a ploughed field. He didnt use wood on the outer edge so the concrete has ran away and the edge isnt anywhere near straight. He's used sand and cement on a patch to try and cover some of the disaster. There's cracks all over it and its only down 2 days. Is there any way to fix this? Is it possible to sand or grind it to smooth it out? Because of the levels you couldn't pour more on top. We are out a small fortune and I cant afford to pay someone to dig it all out and start again. He hasn't offered any solution and is avoiding our calls and I doubt he has insurance.

Sponsored Links
I think you need to contact Trading Standards for advice. If it is not up to the legally acceptable standard, then you are within your rights to ask him to rectify it at his cost. If he refuses, then you can give notice of intended legal action. But you need to do this properly, which is why I say contact Trading Standards. Communicating by recorded delivery letter is important, it means you have proof of communication. Word of mouth isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Also, you should not pay until you are satisfied though a deposit is acceptable. Sounds like you paid up front.

There are no remedies really other than break it up and start again.

He sounds like he has no clue. Have you paid the full amount and was it cash or cheque?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back