Sectional Garage Panels to Pave Driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All,

I am hoping to kill two birds with one stone:
  • I have a concrete sectional garage that needs to come down.
  • I also have a pebble driveway, which we dislike as the pebbles seem to inevetably end up where we don't want them (in the house, on the road in front of the house,...)
The panels are tongue and groove, made out of reinforced concrete and roughly 60cm by 1m. They have a pebble effect on the outside. They are pretty thick, but because they are thicker on the edges and thinner in the middle, I couldn't get a decent measurement.

The driveway is 6m by 8.5m and we typically only park 1 car there. The amount of panels I have would easily cover this area.

Could this work? Or do you believe it is a waste of time as the panels won't take the weight?

$_86.JPG

Sponsored Links
The panels would take the weight if you lay them properly. Problem is they will be very hard to lay properly because of the weight and unusual shape.

You would want a good sub base 150mm thick (which may already be there?) and then lay the panels on 75mm of wet fine concrete. 2 parts 10mm gravel : 3 parts grit/sharp : 1 part cement sand.

You want to lay them so that they are supported by a full bed of concrete, so prepare the bed and ripple it with a trowel to create ridges, set the slab on and tap it down to the right level and so that the bedding spreads to fully cover the slab. Getting them level and fully bedded will require a few tester ones til you get the bed right. So lift the first ones and check to see if its fully bedded and no big voids.

you will need help as they need to be brought down level onto the bedding

Sponsored Links
I know tastes differ etc, but won't they look horrible?

If you're going to have to have a sub base and a concrete bedding layer anyway, why not just have a concrete drive?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back