concrete driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
our concrete drive has a shallow dip which leaves a puddle after it rains,

is there any type of leveller i can use to fill it up like you can get for indoor screeding?

or could i just use cement,

i was just thinking about it breaking up at the edges!

what about putting an inch of cement over the whole drive?

Sponsored Links
for reference:

cement is the name of the grey powder you mix with sand and water to make mortar, or with sand and gravels to make concrete. You don't lay "cement" as is.

Now, if the car is going to run over the area then don't be tempted to lay a thin scrape of anything as it'll crumble. Patch it with a concrete mix but dig out the hole deeper first to create a more substantial plug of concrete.

How large is the dip?

I`ve been told 50mm min . for concrete to patch :confused: by a roadway guy

An exterior 2 part acrylic flooring compound (used much like latex flooring compound) can be laid very thinly.
I've used it over an existing concrete base with no sign of breaking up a couple of years later.
F.Ball certainly make one, the only prep I did before laying was ensuring the concrete was clean then an acid etch (patio cleaner acid) then a pva primer.

Sponsored Links
WabbitPoo said:
for reference:

cement is the name of the grey powder you mix with sand and water to make mortar, or with sand and gravels to make concrete. You don't lay "cement" as is.

Now, if the car is going to run over the area then don't be tempted to lay a thin scrape of anything as it'll crumble. Patch it with a concrete mix but dig out the hole deeper first to create a more substantial plug of concrete.

How large is the dip?

the puddle is about 3/4" deep !

but the car wont be goin over that part of the drive

Marksson , thanks for the info

agree with the guys. you need to deepen the recess first, 50mm plus sound about right. dampen the area with water first and do not do the job if frost threatens.

yes.

but anything not supported (i.e over a hollow) will be liable to crak if excess weight is applied.

also say 4 slab corners meet above a hollow they will all be able to rock as there is no spport

breezer said:
yes.

but anything not supported (i.e over a hollow) will be liable to crak if excess weight is applied.

also say 4 slab corners meet above a hollow they will all be able to rock as there is no spport

breezer,
should i lay the slabs onto a bed of sand? (if so then how thick?)
or just bed them onto mortar?

cheers

If you have moss on concrete then that need to be clean up, you could clean it with pressue washer or wet the concrete & throw some sharp sand and brush around. No need to treat it, just make sure there's no oil or grease etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back