27 Aug 2011
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi all,
My house sits at the end of a 60 foot long driveway, made of concrete. My neighbours property on one side is some four feet higher. My other neighbours house is the same level as mine, however his concrete drive is some 2 inches higher than my garden/soil boundary. To complicate matters, my driveway runs downhill from my house to a mid-point, then runs uphill to exit onto the road. My problems is therefore about rainwater/drainage and raising the level of my drive/garden. I should say that my garden is solid clay.

When it rains, the water from the pavement, which runs downhill going across the front of my drive, runs into my driveway and floods it. Last night we had a thunder storm which lasted for 30 minutes. At the end, my garden and drive were flooded to knee height. I have two grids in the concrete drive, one either side and a manhole cover situated towards the exit onto the road. I opened up the man hole cover to allow some of the water to escape. I then used a dirty water pump (30’000 litres per hour) it took 90 minutes to clear the garden of the water, with me, wife and 2 kids also using buckets at the same time.
- Do the council have any responsibility in terms of the surface water from the highway flooding my property?
- How do I prevent water from the road/pavement entering my driveway ?
- I’d like to level my drive way/gardeen, so that it sloped downwards to the road, but that would mean raising it by 8 inches at the lowest point, is this feasible and if so how do I do it?

I've uploaded 3 photos to give you an idea of the problem. One shows the rate at which water poured in from the pavement, the other two are to give you an idea of the depth. I took these just after the rain started. By the time the rain ended, the level of water was 18 inches deep.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
I would get onto Highways Dept at the council, that looks like a lot of water passing your property! I'd query the road gulleys are working correctly and there is not a blocked surface water sewer causing an overflow.

I've worked on jobs before where we've remodelled the kerbs to prevent surface water entering private property. Alternatively (it's probably a PITA!) but a concrete road hump across your drive entrance may also stop a lot of the water entering your driveway. Could raise the levels but this would require a lot of material if the drive and surrounding garden are 60' long. Might be better initially to try and prevent the water entering your property in the first place.
Sponsored Links
But if he reports this to the council will they not ask why he is running a Garage.Breakers from the property :D
What photos??

I am a bit puzzled here..........deadstar posted the problem and when I asked what photos alaistereid posted them for him?????????????

The pics were in his album, its the fellas 1st post ....maybe doesnt know how to post pics as yet.

alastair...........dont wish to sound stupid but where do I see the album??? ( I am over 50 with grey hair so dont start thinking I am a 20 year old computer whizzkid)
alastair...........dont wish to sound stupid but where do I see the album??? ( I am over 50 with grey hair so dont start thinking I am a 20 year old computer whizzkid)

Click on the ops user name and you can access his albums.

I am over 50 with grey hair

You're lucky you have hair to go grey :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links