Concrete Expansion Joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Back again for advice. I am preparing ground to lay concrete. The area is 5 meters X 6 meters X 100mm deep on a 100mm hardcore bed impregnated with weld mesh. I am planning to use this area to park 2 cars on it.

This is huge area to lay concrete in one go therefore I am planning to lay in three segments. The concrete laid will be ready mixed. Having concrete in my drive both sides are not sealed this is a menace for weeds in spring/summer.

Is there a method of sealing the joints and allowing movement. I believe they used to pour bitumen compound in the joints in the olden days. Is this still done or something different is used. Positive advice will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
This is huge area to lay concrete in one go

:LOL: :LOL:
Sorry but I find this quite funny.
My brother is a concrete laying contractor. A huge area to him is 50mx30m requiring 500 cubic meters and he has done a few of these in a single day with no expansion joints. (4 men!)
But if you really think you need to lay this small amount in three sections then I can give you the name of the product he uses to seal contraction/expansion joints if you wish.
You will also pay quite a high price for "part load" readymix plus you don't want the embarrassment of the delivery driver laughing at you either. ;)

So what were these 300mm thick slabs?

Has your bro returned 1,3, 5 years later to check that no movement or contraction has occurred?

To the OP, you are better off laying this in two bays - with the joint running up the drive. You probably don't need a movement joint, nor expansion joint but you will just form a construction joint - which is just a joint in a natural break in the work.

You wont need to seal it if you pour the new bay tight up against the previous one. A sheet of polythene or DPC can help as a slip plane, but the two bays are best tied together with reinforcement

This is huge area to lay concrete in one go

:LOL: :LOL:
Sorry but I find this quite funny.
My brother is a concrete laying contractor. A huge area to him is 50mx30m requiring 500 cubic meters and he has done a few of these in a single day with no expansion joints. (4 men!)
But if you really think you need to lay this small amount in three sections then I can give you the name of the product he uses to seal contraction/expansion joints if you wish.
You will also pay quite a high price for "part load" readymix plus you don't want the embarrassment of the delivery driver laughing at you either. ;)

It may be funny to you my friend. I am doing it by myself. I started digging last friday and believe you me I have dug 1/3rd of the area so far. The ground is clay impregnated with rubble. It is painful. Your brother having four men with him and probably a small digger. laying 500 cu meters concrete with men power and machine is achievable.

All of my neighbours have passed comments that I am extremely brave to take on a huge task by myself. So if concrete delivery driver wants to laugh at me he might get a shock to see how I have single handed dug and prepared the ground all by hand.

Sponsored Links
So what were these 300mm thick slabs?

Has your bro returned 1,3, 5 years later to check that no movement or contraction has occurred?

To the OP, you are better off laying this in two bays - with the joint running up the drive. You probably don't need a movement joint, nor expansion joint but you will just form a construction joint - which is just a joint in a natural break in the work.

You wont need to seal it if you pour the new bay tight up against the previous one. A sheet of polythene or DPC can help as a slip plane, but the two bays are best tied together with reinforcement

Hi woody

what is a bay tight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back