Concrete fence post options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks, I've just joined this forum hoping to find some gen on the mysterys of slotted concrete fence posts. I've never used them before, always preferring repair spurs and wood posts. However, I have to put up 2 panels which have earth & bushes 18" high on the neighbours side, and which also has to end forming a T joint to existing fences.
So....I need 2 x 12" concrete gravel boards to clear the wet bits plus a 4ft wooden fence. Sliding all this into slotted concrete posts seem the easiest option, but I'll need some way of firmly attaching a wooden post to the non slotted side of a single slotted 'end' post.

In all the ads there's no mention of any holes (presumably these would reduce the strength too much) and I'm wondering what prevents fence panels being slide up & out of the slots by the roaming ASBO brigade?

Do they have holes? Can wooden posts be fixed to them? Any info would help please.

Sponsored Links
wait till you try sliding them in. then youll realise why there a complete pain in the arse to slide in or out

wait till you try sliding them in. then youll realise why there a complete pain in the a**e to slide in or out

So you'd have to be both sober and patient then? I suppose thats the ASBO & burglar proofing covered! :) Thanks Thermo.

For initial installation I was intending to avoid lifting concrete gravel boards 6 ft, only to get them cocked and wedged halfway down etc. I'm taking the cowards way out and will assemble it all sideways, post by post. When it comes to replacement woodwork, there's likely to be trees and stuff which won't allow clearance above the posts in some places. For this I intend to make up panels which are post edge to post edge wide and screw them to batons prepositioned in the slots.
Hopefully I'll be an old duffer by then so won't want anything too risky or strenuous to do!

Sponsored Links
you can buy a concrete 3 way t post,from your local fencing company
Thanks Tall Paul, but I'll need to fix a wooden batten to it. Not sure if a concrete post will take being drilled, plastic plugged & screwed? Not with all that bending load from wind, my dog, etc etc. Otherwise I was thinking of potting a wood strip into the slot with melted bitumen, but that's a lot of messing about.

why do you want to fix a wooden post or batten to it?

See top 'post' (forum not fence!!!).... Two legs of the T are mine but the existing fence section I have to attach is not mine. It's a flimsy chicken wire arrangement with a thin wooden frame, just for the weeds to climb up I think! It needs to be physically attached and isn't something which can make use of a slot in a post.

If there is no system to fix to slotted posts then I suppose I could strap the loose frame to my concrete post with thin fencing wire, but that means drilling my new panel every inch or so and would look as cheap & nasty as it sounds.

not your fence, not your problem.

You could tie the old thing at the top and bottom to your post if you want. Or you could offer to fit a new post with holes in it (at the neighbour's expense) and concrete it in while you are working.

side by side isnt the cowards option, its how its done when erecting new ones. its when you take old ones out that it gets silly.

they will take being drilled.

you can drill concrete psts mate ;) not a problem with brown 7mm plugs...be carefull be carefull not to drill too near the top of the post and try to keep it centraly on the post. Remember the post has got 5 steel bars running through it on the 4 corners of the post ;)

Hi all,

Well thanks for the info; decision made.....I'll drill & plug a slotted post.

Not my fence = not my problem..... Not this time. The old boy's in his 80's with a heart problem and not awash with money. I just want one post that can hold 3 (assorted) fence ends, i.e a long lasting fix but with minimum effort so as not to make him feel he 'owes me one', that's all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back