Concrete floor & 1970s brown tiles - to hardboard or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

sorry if this is a daft question but most of google just answers for wood sub floors.

Downstairs living room is a concrete floor with horrible 1970s brown tiles which about about 3mm thick, not sure that they are but all the edges have broken and crumbled up.

We are gettin carpet fitted which is a good quality one and cloud9 underlay.
I have put some hardboard down and covered the floor mainly to please the eye at the moment but should I leave it there for the fitters?

If I leave it down should I no-nails it?

If I leave it down, smooth side or rough side up?

If I take it up...........does any body want 4 sheets of hardboard? :D

Also, I've got to supply gripper......will this just nail into the concrete floor?

Cheers all

Sponsored Links
The tiles are probably asphalt asbestos laid on bitumen. Probably best to lift them all. Mine popped off fairly easily when I put a scraper under them. Depending on how smooth the concrete floor is underneath you can then put a levelling screed over or re-hardboard.

You will need to establish whether you have a damp proof membrane in the concrete but if this is a 1970s house you probably do.

Time scale just doesn't allow for lifting them.
They don't seem asbestos based, I'd say more bakerlite maybe?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back